Chicken Eye problem then DEATH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by linda_zeagler31002, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. linda_zeagler31002

    linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

    463
    1
    111
    Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    I please need some help, I can' t raise chickens for the life of me. Ducks, no problem, but chickens is a problem..... It starts when I notice it one of my chickens will have a swollen, closed, red eye, one got so bad it sealed closed and looks to have collapsed in or sunk in sealed shut. I went and purchase Tylan gave every one of them a injection. I then followed up with a tectrocyclin in their only water source. I had a bunch to just die. All has been well then out of now where I see one with the eye problem, and treat it isolated it, but then the next day 3 dead young pullet size chickens that didn't show any illness signs, so I am just baffled, I don't know what is doing this or how to get rid of this whatever it is disease. I have sprayed my pens and housing unit with bleach to unbearable levels the first time, the second time I bought the tek-trol and sprayed to high heavens with it. If any one has any information to what is causing this or how to stop or treat it, I would sure be grateful, but my chickens would be more grateful than me.
     
  2. BrattishTaz

    BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

    4,445
    16
    213
    Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I am not sure what is going on but I'm sure others will chime in. It would be helpful to them to give as much information as possible.

    How long ago did this start?
    When did the last bird die?
    What are you feeding them?
    Are there any other symptoms that you have noticed?

    I am sure others will ask more questions but these will get you started. You may end up having to call your local extention office to see if a necropsy can be done.

    Good luck. [​IMG]
     
  3. babylotzahenz

    babylotzahenz Out Of The Brooder

    55
    0
    29
    Dec 30, 2010
    lexington
    I know about eye problems, as I am battling them myself. One issue is Air Quality. I had a hen autopsied from a swollen head and there was NO disease or organisms to be found, not even worms or Cocci. Basically, the air quality in my coop is NOT good. I have tried everything. I have raised chickens for years and have never ever had the problem with the swollen eyes. I think the bleach and disinfectant you used may have made your problem worse, as they are so irritating. I would suggest you mail or take a fresh bird to your local animal diagnostic lab (It cost $20.) and rule out any diseases. That way you will know for sure. I KNOW my coop is too dusty, but if the bedding is wet or damp then ammonia levels seem to rise. I am wondering if it is my type of bedding. I am using a super soft, extra fine pine shavings. I am wondering if there is some kind of chemical in them, or they just break down so quickly being so fine, making ammonia. My chicks get swollen eyes, puffy heads, then they dehydrate and finally die. I also have an occasional hen with the swollen eyes and just recently my favorite rooster. He had pus in his eye, hard and very firm, and the eyes water a lot. I am going to completely clean out and pressure wash my coop to eliminate the dust and then use the old type of cheaper shavings I used to use. I gave my whole flock a round of Sulmet, but there was no change in the birds. It takes two weeks to clear up the eye irritation. One check for ammonia is to get down one foot from the ground and spend at least 5 minutes there, seeing if your own eyes begin to tear up. If so, immediately remove the birds to a clean, airy place until you can clean the area out. I am at a loss for what to do about the dust, I am considering a horse 'mister' to barely mist the shavings, to keep the dust down. I hope this helps at least a little bit, it is so frustrating, and I cannot seem to get a handle on it myself. Good luck to you.
     
  4. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    23,342
    1,231
    448
    Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you keep the inside of your chicken house as dry as possible. You dont want mold or fungus getting started, which are deadly to chickens. If ammonia vapors/fumes are suspected, a weekly clean out is in order. Spot clean with bleachwater and wipe dry as best as you can. Rig up a fan or two for air circulation/ventilation.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by