Chicken eyes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max13077, Nov 29, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is going to get a lot of laughs, but I really want to know. I have a Dark Brahma hen, "Brahma Momma," who is about the calmest, most chilled out thing I've ever seen. A lot of times I'll sit out in the yard and she'll make her way over, hop up on my lap, and have a seat with me. This afternoon her and I were hanging out watching all the other chickens scratch about when something caught my eye(no pun intended). How do chickens blink? Do they blink like us, or is there another lid that comes down. I tried to watch her but the lids went so super fast I couldn't tell. It looked like it came from the front, a clear cover like a lizard, not up and down like us. Who knows, maybe I'm nuts. But that's what it looked like. I tried to make her blink so I knew when it was coming but she'd just shut her eyes. I know this sounds like I need to ease off the drugs but it's intrigued me.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane :

The nictitating membrane (from Latin nictare, to blink) is a transparent or translucent third eyelid present in some animals that can be drawn across the eye for protection and to moisten the eye while also keeping visibility. Various reptiles, birds, and sharks have a full nictitating membrane, whereas, in many mammals, there is a small vestigial remnant of the membrane present in the corner of the eye. Unlike the upper and lower eyelids, the nictitating membrane moves horizontally across the eyeball. It is normally translucent.

[​IMG] The nictitating membrane of a chicken.​

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    I typed chicken eyes into google too after I posted!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Very cool info-thanks!

(Although now I think I'm creeping my girls out by staring at them trying to catch a glimpse!!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by