Chicken falling over

LAlvarez

Hatching
Mar 17, 2018
Hi I'm new and was wondering if y'all could help me. One of our chickens doesn't have any balance and keeps falling over. He falls over the water bucket and over chickens so I'm guessing it's gotta hurt. He's about 4 years old. We feed him scratch, grains, whole corn, and let him roam around. He's eating but he can't seem to stand. He just lays on his side with his mouth open.

Welcome to BYC. He could be suffering from a nutritional deficiency from not eating a balanced chicken feed, since scratch grains and corn are not complete, and lack protein, vitamins and minerals in the right combination.
I would get some Flock Raiser feed, and some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give him 3 ml daily (a little over 1/2 tsp.) daily.
Do you know if he may have been injured? Mareks disease is sometimes a cause of imbalance or lameness. Dehydration can also cause that, so I would make sure that he is near food and water, and offer a little cooked egg, meat, or tuna for extra energy. Make sure that he can see, since he could have some trouble seeing?

Welcome to BYC. He could be suffering from a nutritional deficiency from not eating a balanced chicken feed, since scratch grains and corn are not complete, and lack protein, vitamins and minerals in the right combination.
I would get some Flock Raiser feed, and some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give him 3 ml daily (a little over 1/2 tsp.) daily.
Do you know if he may have been injured? Mareks disease is sometimes a cause of imbalance or lameness. Dehydration can also cause that, so I would make sure that he is near food and water, and offer a little cooked egg, meat, or tuna for extra energy. Make sure that he can see, since he could have some trouble seeing?
Thank you so much

How long has this been going on? +1 to the nutridrench asap. Also, can he come inside to be cared for where it is quiet and warm?
It's barely been 2 days but I'd never seen any of the chickens do that before so I got worried

Back
Top Bottom