Chicken Feathers...

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
I have an old chicken who is in the process of dying. She's 10+ years old and is now in the calm, quiet house with us until it's her time. 💔

But her condition has me weary of another chicken of mine, who is younger. She's refusing to sleep on the roost at night and only wants to sleep in the nesting box... but come daytime, she's out and about with the others, being a normal chicken. I think she's around 5 years old. I did add extra vitamins to their water today and am picking up some more crushed oyster shells for their food, as I ran out recently. But does she look normal to everyone? I figured it's probably her feathers growing back in causing her trouble, as molting seemed never ending this summer and I know the process is not fun for a chicken... but is there anything else I should do for her or just leave her to her "vitamin" water and layer feed with -soon to come- crushed oyster shells?

And they do free range typically during the afternoon hours; it's not just layer food they eat... but the morning time is when the fox comes around and we LOVE to avoid her! :wee

0CC28E87-0B23-47B0-8147-495A4DA98124_1_201_a.jpeg

How much protein does the feed have? Have you examined her - body condition, crop, abdomen, etc.? Do they normally molt in the summertime?

Right now they are getting Producer's Pride 16% Layer Crumbles. We switch back and forth from Producer's Pride to Dumor's depending on what our farm store has in stock. I tried examining her yesterday, but she's a rescue chicken, is a bit feral acting and flipped out of my hands and fell to the coop floor, hard. 🫣 That made me worry about her even more last night; not willing to put her through that again... Lol She's def not a light bird and she def doesn't like being handled.

And I don't know if they usually molt in the summer. I always related it to the cooler months, because it seems to happen when they NEED their feathers, but like a domino effect, they each molted this summer (I have 5 chickens). But between getting married, going on the honeymoon and then getting diagnosed with epilepsy (and realizing why my memory has been so poor for the past 9+ years), I can't say for sure what's been what this summer.

To give her a boost to get through a difficult or extended molt, try feeding All-Flock feed (chick starter) with higher protein (18-20%). If she's not laying she doesn't need the calcium in layer feed - it could hurt her kidneys if she eats enough of it while not laying eggs.

Thank you for stating that... even after so many years, I'm still learning (and it's usually opposite ideas from different sources). 🤪🤣 I was told prior to give them crushed oyster shells when they were molting. But hey! One less thing to worry about!

And usually their molts go smooth (thank goodness!) and no problems come up. But I will look into All Flock Feed Chick Starter and see what I can get ASAP, because something seems off with her...

It may be that she is getting bullied off the roost. Or she may be uncomfortable getting bumped by the others because of pinfeathers. I would also check for mites on the roost at night. That is also a good time to give her a once over, when she may be easier to handle. We she very attached to the older hen? She could be missing her friend. Taking one hen from the flock changes the dynamic too. If all else checks out you could try placing her back on the roost at night. So sorry about your old girl. Hopefully her passing is peaceful.

It may be that she is getting bullied off the roost. Or she may be uncomfortable getting bumped by the others because of pinfeathers. I would also check for mites on the roost at night. That is also a good time to give her a once over, when she may be easier to handle. We she very attached to the older hen? She could be missing her friend. Taking one hen from the flock changes the dynamic too. If all else checks out you could try placing her back on the roost at night. So sorry about your old girl. Hopefully her passing is peaceful.

I can for sure say that no, she's not been bullied. She actually had taken on a rooster's roll and would do her best to crow in the mornings (it's hilarious as it's def not a rooster's crow, but I give her credit!). She was my chicken who was wounded by the fox 1.5 years ago, while trying to protect the rest of the chickens during the attack. So she's pretty respected by the flock. And on the roost, she sits on one side, while my oldest chicken, Queenie and my Wyandotte sit on the other side together. So no bickering up there... 😍 I guess they used to sit closer together, but the heat we had this past month: I was blaming that on them sitting apart. ?? For a small flock though, they get along well. And the roost is long enough for 7 chickens, yet only 3 use(d) it in recent months.

Then my Game Hen and old Brahma would sleep in the nesting boxes, as the Game Hen lost her feet to frost bite and Brahma (who's now in my home to pass), had a hard time getting off the roost in her old age. Besides the Astralorp and Wyandotte, the other 3 are quite old. But that's why I'm worried about the Australorp... no reason for her to be laying down in a nesting box!

But for mites... I haven't seen any in the coop at all. When I cleaned the coop back in July, I did add Poultry Dust beneath their bedding just in case mites came around. I had an issue with mites years back and NEVER again... that was a nightmare. So I try preventing it. And cleaning the coop out last night, it still was free of mites. 😃🥳 But I've been using the same brand poultry dust for years now, typically once a year after a deep clean and it hasn't failed me yet.

Oh and I just removed Brahma last night. So it's def not connected to Aussie's issues.
Plus Brahma being so far beneath everyone in the pecking order; I don't think she'll be missed, sadly. She came to me with only one eye and toes missing... another rescue. But she has been the sweetest chicken ever. My husband and I would joke about getting a basket on our bikes, just to take Brahma on bike rides with us... she would have no doubt enjoyed it, while we peddled along! She loves being with people!

Then lastly, I did put Aussie up on the roost a few night's ago and she stayed, but after that, she will NOT let me handle her or stay up there; last night was a fail. I've almost wondered too if it was her feet, but for the little bit of holding her last night, my husband and I saw nothing wrong with them. And she walks around fine...

I love talking chickens and don't get to share about them much, so thank you to anyone's patience with reading this! My flock is more than a hobby and despite not getting eggs very often due to molting, broodiness and/or aging chickens, I still do the very best for my girls til their very end! What they've given to me, I give back to them... even it's it's camping out in a dog crate in my living room. 😍

Thank you for stating that... even after so many years, I'm still learning (and it's usually opposite ideas from different sources). 🤪🤣 I was told prior to give them crushed oyster shells when they were molting. But hey! One less thing to worry about!

And usually their molts go smooth (thank goodness!) and no problems come up. But I will look into All Flock Feed Chick Starter and see what I can get ASAP, because something seems off with her...
I feed Purina Flockraiser 20% (all-flock feed) all the time I can afford it. (And Dumor 17% or higher when I can't). From what I can tell the cost difference is due to protein content and trace nutrients/minerals.

I give them oyster shell and grit in separate containers in the covered run year round. Most hens will eat what they need of the grit and eggshell and the roosters will leave the oyster shell alone.

If you're wanting supplementation, consider rooster booster, also human vitamin B complex (in the water, you can't overdose). Sometimes folks feed human vitamin E or vitamin D for various reasons. Or Calcium citrate with vitamin D for egg shell issues. Nutridrench (molasses based) is also an easy way to supplement trace vitamins/minerals short-term. Probiotics for chickens are also helpful. Electrolytes when it's hot (Hydro-Hen or similar).

If you search on this site, Kiki has a link in her signature to the chicken feed Excel sheet, and that shows the trace nutrients that chickens need in their food and how much of each is in numerous commercial feeds.

16% is really the minimum on protein that commercial chicken houses can use and still get enough eggs from chickens only expected to live for two years. If you want healthier or longer-lived chickens, or better trace nutrients, best to up the protein a bit and pay more attention to trace nutrients/minerals/vitamins is how I understand it.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom