Chicken feed help

Hundreds of millions of years of instinct. Just offer it on the side , and also a separate container of oyster shell but they don’t need that until about 18 weeks. Also instinct will tell them when to eat the oyster shell - which is why I prefer it to layer feed because it doesn’t force too much calcium on them. The grit they should have now, but chick grit until the instructions on the bag say to switch to adult poultry grit.
Ok I think about it

Grit is basically their teeth. It's used to grind the food in the crop. It's tiny pebbles or rocks. I used sand for my tiny chicks, then I used dirt out oof the yard. If you watch chickens foraging around in a run or yard you will see them picking up rocks/pebbles and eating them .
Grit is different from oyster shell.
Oyster shell provides calcium for laying birds to help keep eggshells strong.
Many confuse grit/ouster shell as doing the same thing.
They don't.
Hope this helps

Grit is basically their teeth. It's used to grind the food in the crop. It's tiny pebbles or rocks. I used sand for my tiny chicks, then I used dirt out oof the yard. If you watch chickens foraging around in a run or yard you will see them picking up rocks/pebbles and eating them .
Grit is different from oyster shell.
Oyster shell provides calcium for laying birds to help keep eggshells strong.
Many confuse grit/ouster shell as doing the same thing.
They don't.
Hope this helps
Yeah thanks 🙏 I haven’t offered grit at all since they were chicks. And I have seen them eating lots of rocks in the yard. They have been completely fine i’m going to keep them on flock raiser for their whole lives and give them oyster shell when they are 18 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom