Chicken feed, medicated or not?

Anything over about six months tends to be immune to the coccidia strains where they live, but if they are moved they may be exposed to a strain they have not been in contact before. I generally just keep a close eye on moved birds (especially if they have been stressed) and treat them if needed. If you are talking moving chicks under six months or so, and you are moving them into an area where there have been coccidia problems, I would go ahead and feed them medicated feed, but be prepared to treat them with Corid or something since there is a good chance they will still have an outbreak.

Anything over about six months tends to be immune to the coccidia strains where they live, but if they are moved they may be exposed to a strain they have not been in contact before. I generally just keep a close eye on moved birds (especially if they have been stressed) and treat them if needed. If you are talking moving chicks under six months or so, and you are moving them into an area where there have been coccidia problems, I would go ahead and feed them medicated feed, but be prepared to treat them with Corid or something since there is a good chance they will still have an outbreak.

They are under six months, they are just off the heater. There are already chickens where they are moving to but I do not think there has been any coccidia issues. I will start out with the medicated feed as you suggest. Should I give them a bit of grass with topsoil?

It really isn't necessary. It does not prevent coccidiosis. The best thing to do is to put a lump of grass with topsoil in your brooder from day 1 and let them be exposed to the cocci strain in your yard. They have a bit of natural immunity for a week or two, then they start building up their own. If you have an outbreak of cocci, it needs to be treated with Corid (amprollium) right away--medicated feed won't do it. Most broody-raised chicks have their babies out in the dirt by the 3 rd day getting exposed to the soil, and it is rare for those chicks to get it unless the broody gets it.
doesn't the medicated feed have amp in it?--the stuff I get does----

Hello,

I gave him a mixture of boil egg, baby chicken feed and water. He ate it, so I can tell he was very hungry. Now he sleeping under a feather hat I got, heater on, very quiet. I need him to figure out how to eat by himself by tomorrow as I'm working, took leave today to stay with him. I won't mind getting a play mate for him, but the only guy I know that sell chickens, they are already like 2 to 3 weeks, way too big by tiny Pollito! Fingers crossed for him. He is the only hatch from 17 eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom