Chicken Feed Questions!

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Hi everyone! Basically my chicks are currently eating the Ace Hi 22% Chick Starter Mash. The guy at the feed store gave me a bag of the Star Milling Co. All Purpose vegeterian Mash feed to switch to once I run out of the Ace Hi starter. Is this feed good? Do I have to switch gradually? How long should I feed them this? It say's all purpose, does that mean their entire life?

Thanks for any help!

I haven't had any experience with either of those brands. And while 22% protein may be fine for chicks, it might be a little high for laying hens, IMO. I feed all my poultry a 20% protein all purpose pellet (I don't care for mash or crumbles...too much is wasted). It's always a good idea to switch feeds gradually, especially if you're changing manufacturer's. That being said, I, for one, never have(not with poultry anyway) and I've never lacked for eggs !!! Good luck and enjoy! Chickens can be a whole lot of fun!
btw...what kind of chicks do you have?

Hi there Chicken lover09. I am not familiar with the brand of feed that you mention either. 22% protein sounds about right for birds that are not yet laying. Are your birds being raised for meat or laying eggs? For layers, they should be switched to layer pellets or layer mash when they start laying .It is usually around 16% protein. Plus it has additional calcium that layers need. Don't feed this until they start laying or it could damage their kidneys. Also some folks add additional calcium such as oyster grit for egg shell development. Good luck with the flock.

I'm using them for eggs (and pets). The people at the feed store said that I should switch to this feed when I ran out. Can it really cause liver damage?

Also, is there anything else I should be feeding them? Vegetables,fruits (I am feeding them grit).

I used Ace High feeds for years when I lived in San Diego. It was excellent feed. IMO better than any commecial feed I have used. They do make some high protein feeds that are great for meaties and their feed for layers is A+. Their turkey and quail feed is great also. Unfortunately for me I can't get it out here in the SE. Wish I could. Better than Layena.

All of this is just MY OPINION. So take it with a grain of salt.

Wish ya the best.

How old are your chicks? I would not change to layer pellets or layer mash until they start to lay eggs. Yes it can cause damage to their kidneys if they are feed this before it is time. Most chickens start to lay from 18 to 26 weeks of age depending on the breed. What breed/ breeds do you have?

2 of my silkies are 2 months old, I have 1 other silkie who is 1 month old, and two normal laying hens (not sure about the breed).

Ok, To reiterate, don't feed your birds layer pellets or mash until they start to lay eggs. What you are feeding them now is fine. When they start to lay you may want to consider adding some oyster shell on the side for egg shell development . Good luck and keep us posted on their progress. If your have hens that are currently laying, they should be segregated from the other birds and fed the layer pellets or mash. It is also ok to give birds that are laying, BOSS ( Black Oil Sunflower Seeds ). Our birds love them.

Back
Top Bottom