Chicken Feed + Water = Crazy feeding frenzy... why?

Pics
Something that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is the possibility of using wet food as an easy delivery method for medications. Such as wormers or mite treatments. Especially if the birds see wet food as a treat and gobble it up.

I always have struggled with finding the perfect medication that can be dosed as a "pour on" (like flea meds you put on your dog), that actually has impact on a broad range of pests (seems many only kill specific bugs). I don't want to deal with squirting something in their mouth, and don't want to be injecting with a needle. Yes, there is the holy grail of Eprinex that kills a broad spectrum of bugs, but it is super expensive.

It seems that most if not all of the main oral drugs suggested for chickens could be mixed into some wet food, which solves the problem of not wanting to squirt it in their mouth one by one. As long as you make enough wet food that they all get a full crop/full dose!
My flock also goes cra-cra for wet feed! I serve mine in a heated dog bowl or cool whip container and make fresh each morning with hot water (or in the summer I make it the night before & refrigerate). It’s been a super helpful method of giving them worming medicine. I mix the liquid meds with the water, then add just enough feed for them to finish it within a few hours.
The only downside I’ve noticed in my Easter Egger flock is some missing beards from grooming the wet feed off each other’s chin!

Back
Top Bottom