Chicken Feed + Water = Crazy feeding frenzy... why?

Pics

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
So I just was wondering why when you add water with chicken feed the chickens go crazy for it. I mean it is basically mush or I guess it is porridge.

For instance, this morning I decided to make the mush for them. I have a special bowl I use and the girls saw me. The very quietly showed their excitement by jumping up and down and waiting for me patiently. Well, I got sidetracked.... and they let me know. You would think I starve them by the way they act! I finally got back to making the mush and as I am carrying the bowls in they are jumping all over it. It is the only time I see all the girls not squabble over who is higher on the pecking order because they are so busy gobbling the mush down.

So does anyone know why they go crazy for this mush? Just curious on what your thoughts are.

Or are my chickens the only crazy chickens that like the mush.

So I just was wondering why when you add water with chicken feed the chickens go crazy for it. I mean it is basically mush or I guess it is porridge.

For instance, this morning I decided to make the mush for them. I have a special bowl I use and the girls saw me. The very quietly showed their excitement by jumping up and down and waiting for me patiently. Well, I got sidetracked.... and they let me know. You would think I starve them by the way they act! I finally got back to making the mush and as I am carrying the bowls in they are jumping all over it. It is the only time I see all the girls not squabble over who is higher on the pecking order because they are so busy gobbling the mush down.

So does anyone know why they go crazy for this mush? Just curious on what your thoughts are.

Or are my chickens the only crazy chickens that like the mush.

No I make a wet mash and they love it. I love it to because it prevents waste of feed on the ground. :):hugs

Just pellets and water? Any other recipes? Can I warm it for
cold mornings?
Oh my goodness. My birds go nuts over the stuff. Summertime = cold. Wintertime = warm.

I joke about slopping my hogs every morning. They do gather around the trough as I’m pouring it in. Yes, pour. Mine like it better the soupier it is. It’s almost like the drier consistency makes them choke. (Not really choke though.)
No I make a wet mash and they love it. I love it to because it prevents waste of feed on the ground. :):hugs
You ain’t kidding there. And for some reason the ants won’t touch the wet feed. :celebrate They carry the dry feed off in buckets.

Here is a picture I took one cold morning last week. You can see the steam rising from the mixture.
6DF28156-B31F-4B7E-9331-6E5234AA9E63.jpeg

Please excuse the dirty white Rock. I can’t keep her clean.
Do they have dry feed available every waking hour?
It is funny how they rotate between the dry and the wet. The dry feed never runs out, but I only mix enough wet for them to eat up each day.

@Mimi’s 13 what is the feeder that you are using to put the wet food in? I just use a bowl but I think I like that better. Like yours, my girls like the feed really soupy. Sometimes I don't put enough water so when I come with another cup of water to mix in the feed they are all over me and will start eating before I even get to mix it.

@Aunt Angus I just use pellets and water. The pellets take longer to soak the crumble but it will do the same thing. On colder days, I will mix the feed with warm water and in the summer I will mix with ice cold water. Also I will sometimes use water that is mixed with electrolytes and/or probiotics.

It's amazing how much they love this stuff! I think it's funny when they are eating and it's all over their beak. Then another chicken will come along and start eating off their beak.

Mine too! Go crazy for wet feed! I’ve used crumble and pellets. Pellets take longer, but not too much longer. I notice a bigger difference between brands in how quickly they turn to mush.

I just use plastic containers (like what I would use to freeze soup), at least 2 so that everyone gets a chance to eat! They have dry feed available all day, but love it wet. Mine also like it more wet like pancake batter (versus thicker like oatmeal).

Back
Top Bottom