Container that will prevent chicks from jumping into fermented feed??

Indigopearl

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
Janesville, WI
My 4 and 8 week old chicks lovvvvve their fermented feed. I give it to them in a bowl and as soon as I put it down, a couple chicks always jump in and scratch at it like crazy. It clings to their feet, and as they jump in and out, makes them dirt (and possibly poo) magnets, which they bring back into the bowl whenever they jump back in. They also fling it all over the run, leaving the oatmeal-like stuff clinging to the hardware cloth walls.

Things I’ve tried which have not helped:
- narrower bowls
- deeper bowls
- raising bowls up on platforms

Is there some kind of container or method that you guys use that prevents this? I’ve searched to no avail so I’m guessing either people don’t have this issue or don’t mind?? Do I just have really *special* chicks? 😆

My 4 and 8 week old chicks lovvvvve their fermented feed. I give it to them in a bowl and as soon as I put it down, a couple chicks always jump in and scratch at it like crazy. It clings to their feet, and as they jump in and out, makes them dirt (and possibly poo) magnets, which they bring back into the bowl whenever they jump back in. They also fling it all over the run, leaving the oatmeal-like stuff clinging to the hardware cloth walls.

Things I’ve tried which have not helped:
- narrower bowls
- deeper bowls
- raising bowls up on platforms

Is there some kind of container or method that you guys use that prevents this? I’ve searched to no avail so I’m guessing either people don’t have this issue or don’t mind?? Do I just have really *special* chicks? 😆
You can use one of these old turkey feeders. They look like this
IMG_0041.JPG

You can also place the fermented food plate outside the fence, and leave windows for them to get their heads to the food, but not their feet, like that:
IMG_0042.JPG

The red is the plate, the brown is the bird, the black is the fence, in case my drawing is ugly

You can use one of these old turkey feeders. They look like thisView attachment 3620150
You can also place the fermented food plate outside the fence, and leave windows for them to get their heads to the food, but not their feet, like that:View attachment 3620153
The red is the plate, the brown is the bird, the black is the fence, in case my drawing is ugly
Thank you, these are great suggestions- and your pictures were definitely helpful!

Back
Top Bottom