Adventures In Chick-Raising: Stage 1 (by a Newbie)

BeeJayBird

Chirping
Jul 31, 2023
Virginia
Stage 1. Weeks 1-4: Hard to believe our 6 new chicks are 10 days old. We moved them out of their tub today into new quarters for more room because they were like little raptors...surveying the top of the fence trying to figure their way out! And they almost did! Didn't think 'testing their limits' would happen so soon. They are in a guest bathroom kept around 80-85 degrees. Walls, sink, cabinets, toilet all covered in painter’s plastic. Bathtub houses their stuff. The floor is covered with large vinyl shower curtain and cardboard walls are taped to the vinyl. Inside on top is another piece of shower curtain but cut to size. Hope is when time to clean, we can fold up sides of the secondary vinyl with the shavings/poop, discard, clean vinyl, return with new shavings. In theory, should work😊. Cardboard facing door pulls up/off like gate. We'll fine-tune as we go along. QUESTION: The litter is pine shavings...how often do folks usually clean out and start fresh AND if using shavings, do you stir things around with a small rake to prolong use? Should we switch to straw?

We did not raise our first 6 chicks four years ago, our son did (in his closet!) and we were not very involved until they were moved to the coop. So this is fairly new to us. We have 3 hens, coop, large penned area in our back yard. Chickens are only for eggs and pets. We are very attached to our three remaining hens. With the chicks, am concentrating on providing food (Dumor Chick Starter Feed), water, warmth, safety & stimulation. We are retired and interact with them every couple of hours until dusk. They have just window light now. Food is not medicated as the chicks were vaccinated. Thought we were supposed to provide chick grit (got a big bag!) but things I’ve read said not to feed grit unless you are giving treats/foods other than the chick starter food. Any feedback on the subject of grit and when/if/why treats is appreciated!

Am interested in reading what others are doing with young chicks for stimulation and/or taming them to your presence and touch. Right now, we are only letting them jump in our hands within their box and we will raise them up and down just a bit, sway side-to-side, they seem to really enjoy it and do come running when they see a hand come down. Our little dog is obsessed with them and must be on a chair watching whenever we are with them. Husband is going to make a small roost. Not comfortable holding them right now for any period of time unless moving them from one place to the other.

QUESTION: I read something interesting about providing chicks with a little dirt-bath. The chicks' new quarters would allow this and I was looking at a large red old dog bowl we have. About 3 inches deep but if filled with only an inch of appropriate soil...? Anyone else done such a thing with their chicks? Pros/cons?

Been in and out of BYC reading various posts/threads, as well as some articles. Getting more accustomed with the terminology many use. Not quite sure how to use "tags". Will try to attach a picture. General thoughts or direction to specific articles appreciated. The chicks are: 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Delaware, 1 Red Star ("Rhoda"), 1 Black Ochin ("Elvira"); new breeds to us! *bjb

Attachments

• chicks.jpg
    chicks.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 131
Chicks are going to go through a few stages of being scared of you. Give them a few months and they won't be afraid.

No treats until they are fully grown and then only a small spoon worth per bird once or twice a week.
Save the grit for when they are older.

Diet is extremely important and a balanced diet can prevent some nasty illnesses.

The deeper the dirt dish the better. They will kick it out quickly so have more dirt ready to refill it.

I don't use shavings ever. I use peat moss.

They are in a guest bathroom kept around 80-85 degrees.
If you can drop the room temperatures that would be ideal, at least 10 degrees or more cooler than what the "recommended" temps are. I see you have a heat plate, that IS the heat source, so no reason to heat the room on top of that. The chicks should be able to get away from heat when they don't need it, which is a good 50% of the time at this age.
We have 3 hens, coop, large penned area in our back yard. Chickens are only for eggs and pets. We are very attached to our three remaining hens. With the chicks, am concentrating on providing food (Dumor Chick Starter Feed), water, warmth, safety & stimulation.
So this might seem a bit "jump the gun" to you, but what were your integration plans? Assuming you're somewhere where it's currently summer, you could opt to raise the chicks outdoors instead if you can run power out to the coop/run location. This will also let you speed up beginning of the integration process, eliminate any fear of mess indoors, and give them all the mental stimulation in the world.

Since you've mentioned reading your way through articles, here's some food for thought for brooding outdoors (if your set up is safe enough and spacious enough) for setting up for early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
Thought we were supposed to provide chick grit (got a big bag!) but things I’ve read said not to feed grit unless you are giving treats/foods other than the chick starter food. Any feedback on the subject of grit and when/if/why treats is appreciated!
I provide grit immediately (2-3 days old). I also brood outdoors so the chicks will put every sort of dirt, wood, grass particle in their mouth that they can find, so grit helps them break down any of that that they consume.
QUESTION: I read something interesting about providing chicks with a little dirt-bath. The chicks' new quarters would allow this and I was looking at a large red old dog bowl we have. About 3 inches deep but if filled with only an inch of appropriate soil...? Anyone else done such a thing with their chicks? Pros/cons?
They will enjoy the option of a dirt bath if one is provided. It may get messy indoors but if it's just 1" of soil that's not much. Other reason for doing so is to begin exposing them to microbes and bacteria in your environment to help build up their immune system.

Here's some 10-day-olds enjoying their first dust bath outside of the brooder:
early3.jpg

Congratulations and welcome, new chick mama! I'm going to offer an opinion different from Kiki's and you can decide for yourself which way to go. I start my chicks on chick grit on about Day Three or certainly by the end of the first week. Three days later I start giving treats - of dried mealworms. They don't NEED treats, their commercial feed is balanced nutrition. But when I give treats, I call them, the way I'm going to call them the rest of their lives. So the worms aren't about "treats." They're about conditioning my flock to recognize my voice and to come when called, as they learn to recognize that I am the Goddess of All Good Things! After another week or so I may start introducing other things like chopped tomatoes, chopped up leftover spaghetti, etc., because I have found that if I don't, when they are older they won't know what to do with unfamiliar food choices. But always remember to keep treats to a minimum, now and when they are older!
Enjoy your flock!

I don't use shavings ever. I use peat moss.
Thank you for your reply! I did the dirt bath today with newly purchased organic peat moss and some sand added. They are just discovering it. Also…got it…no grit! And, no treats. I was interested in why you do not use pine shavings, ever. For your hens as well? I’m using shavings for the chicks and straw in our backyard coop (3 hens). Are shavings bad for the chicks? So much to learn!

If you can drop the room temperatures that would be ideal, at least 10 degrees or more cooler than what the "recommended" temps are. I see you have a heat plate, that IS the heat source, so no reason to heat the room on top of that. The chicks should be able to get away from heat when they don't need it, which is a good 50% of the time at this age.

So this might seem a bit "jump the gun" to you, but what were your integration plans? Assuming you're somewhere where it's currently summer, you could opt to raise the chicks outdoors instead if you can run power out to the coop/run location. This will also let you speed up beginning of the integration process, eliminate any fear of mess indoors, and give them all the mental stimulation in the world.

Since you've mentioned reading your way through articles, here's some food for thought for brooding outdoors (if your set up is safe enough and spacious enough) for setting up for early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

I provide grit immediately (2-3 days old). I also brood outdoors so the chicks will put every sort of dirt, wood, grass particle in their mouth that they can find, so grit helps them break down any of that that they consume.

They will enjoy the option of a dirt bath if one is provided. It may get messy indoors but if it's just 1" of soil that's not much. Other reason for doing so is to begin exposing them to microbes and bacteria in your environment to help build up their immune system.

Here's some 10-day-olds enjoying their first dust bath outside of the brooder:
View attachment 3604748
Thank you rosemarythyme for your very thoughtful and helpful reply!! I really appreciate it.

"...no reason to heat the room on top of that" I feel silly that I thought we needed to have the room super-warm. I'm learning! My husband kind of said the same thing because we had bought the heat plate. I did discontinue turning on the ceiling heat fan to maintain the temperature after a few days. It is summer here and since we closed off the A/C vent, the room is staying around 78-79 degrees. There is a nice window the sun shines through and I do not keep any lights on. I check on them every two hours and they seem happy with the accommodations!

"...jump the gun" Ah, yes..the integration plans. Still to be obsessed over. I am in Virginia and the chicks will be 18 weeks on December 5th. We will be in cooler weather but usually don't get cold/cold until January. Although winters have been fairly mild, I am nervous about getting the chicks introduced properly to the outside environment and our other hens in a timely and safe manner before what we call 'winter' arrives. Hopefully all that will be accomplished by 18 weeks. Chicks are 14 days old and once bigger, we'll introduce them to our fenced courtyard which will require one of us being out there with them at all times. I would love to have one of those pens that are enclosed top and sides, but gives them ground access. and can be closer to our hens. Anyway, we have some options but have to get back to thinking about it.

"...grit" I have not been giving them grit (although I have it) because I read a few articles that explained chick-grit is only necessary if they are eating things other than a Chick Starter food. But, if the chicks are eating treats or anything else, they will need the grit to grind up the food. That made sense. At this point in time, they are getting Dumor Chick Starter Feed and fresh water. Not trying anything else. Once we allow them into the courtyard, or give them a treat or something other than starter feed, I assume that is the point grit needs to be available.

"...dirt bath" Really cute picture! Is that a Delaware chick front and center? I introduced a dirt bath today! I did read several opinions on using what is already being used as a dust/dirt bath by our existing hens (they have a really nice spa-place) but at 14 days old we felt it better not to expose them and I didn't know what creepy insects might be brought into my house. Instead, we purchased some organic peat moss and play sand and put in a deep dog bowl. They were scared of it at first, but now they are all in it...just pecking at it mostly. When we take them to the courtyard, we'll choose a sunny day and allow them to bathe away!

I will definitely check out the article! Thank you for your insight! *bjb

Congratulations and welcome, new chick mama! I'm going to offer an opinion different from Kiki's and you can decide for yourself which way to go. I start my chicks on chick grit on about Day Three or certainly by the end of the first week. Three days later I start giving treats - of dried mealworms. They don't NEED treats, their commercial feed is balanced nutrition. But when I give treats, I call them, the way I'm going to call them the rest of their lives. So the worms aren't about "treats." They're about conditioning my flock to recognize my voice and to come when called, as they learn to recognize that I am the Goddess of All Good Things! After another week or so I may start introducing other things like chopped tomatoes, chopped up leftover spaghetti, etc., because I have found that if I don't, when they are older they won't know what to do with unfamiliar food choices. But always remember to keep treats to a minimum, now and when they are older!
Enjoy your flock!
BigBlueHen53, thank you for the welcome! You have an interesting take on the chick-grit and treats issue that helps my perspective.. Some articles I read it was strictly no treats because you were diluting the nutritional value of the commercial feed you were giving them. And, that makes perfect sense to me. In doing my chick-research, I had already realized we were grossly over-treating our three hens (well, not me - my husband!). Some articles simply stressed they don't need the treats but, if you're going to give to them, give them access to chick-grit and keep the treats to a minimum amount (with hens, no more than two tablespoons a day and then pick up whatever they leave after 15 minutes). I'm not gonna do that 15-minute thing! I think I'm going to go middle-of-the-road here because, like kids, you want them to consume all the good nutritional stuff possible, but a treat now and then is how you get them (bribe them) to do something...hum...right? So, with the chicks we will probably wait till they are a bit older and then do a yummy mealworm but like you, with a definite agenda to help them learn to recognize ME and my husband as the GOD & GODDESS OF ALL GOOD THINGS! :)

Thank you for taking time to share. *bjb

"...no reason to heat the room on top of that" I feel silly that I thought we needed to have the room super-warm. I'm learning! My husband kind of said the same thing because we had bought the heat plate. I did discontinue turning on the ceiling heat fan to maintain the temperature after a few days. It is summer here and since we closed off the A/C vent, the room is staying around 78-79 degrees. There is a nice window the sun shines through and I do not keep any lights on. I check on them every two hours and they seem happy with the accommodations!
:thumbsup
"...jump the gun" Ah, yes..the integration plans. Still to be obsessed over. I am in Virginia and the chicks will be 18 weeks on December 5th. We will be in cooler weather but usually don't get cold/cold until January. Although winters have been fairly mild, I am nervous about getting the chicks introduced properly to the outside environment and our other hens in a timely and safe manner before what we call 'winter' arrives. Hopefully all that will be accomplished by 18 weeks. Chicks are 14 days old and once bigger, we'll introduce them to our fenced courtyard which will require one of us being out there with them at all times. I would love to have one of those pens that are enclosed top and sides, but gives them ground access. and can be closer to our hens. Anyway, we have some options but have to get back to thinking about it.
That's another reason to integrate early, the fact that integration could be done well before you have to worry about the weather turning. As cute as chicks are, I don't like having to manage 2 separate flocks so the sooner they join in with the adults, the far easier it is for me.
"...grit" I have not been giving them grit (although I have it) because I read a few articles that explained chick-grit is only necessary if they are eating things other than a Chick Starter food. But, if the chicks are eating treats or anything else, they will need the grit to grind up the food. That made sense. At this point in time, they are getting Dumor Chick Starter Feed and fresh water. Not trying anything else. Once we allow them into the courtyard, or give them a treat or something other than starter feed, I assume that is the point grit needs to be available.
Correct. However it does them no harm to have it early, as long as they don't gorge on it.
"...dirt bath" Really cute picture! Is that a Delaware chick front and center?
The chicks pictured are... let's see, L to R: Olive Egger, Salmon Faverolles, Sicilian Buttercup, Cuckoo Marans (black in rear)

Stage 1. Weeks 1-4: Hard. QUESTION: The litter is pine shavings...how often do folks usually clean out and start fresh AND if using shavings, do you stir things around with a small rake to prolong use? Should we switch to straw?
Stay with pine shavings. The larger kind keeps them from eating it. I didn't like straw at all. Since their poops are so small and sometimes runny I just changed it out often at this age.

Grit I offer it at week one to get their crops healthy it can't hurt them.

Dust bath is a great idea you might be seeing them scratch at bedding at this stage and they like a bath together. Attached is a pic of last year chicks bathing together!

I fed mine scrambled eggs or wet feed from my hand to get them used to me and talk to them while they are eating to get them used to your voices.

Can you finish up their brooding outside so they get used to their coop? I lock them in coop for 1-2weeks once they feather out so they learn that the coop is their safe refuge. And it helps them go there at dusk. Good luck spend time with them and most will love you,. some never do, no matter what you do.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_220434755.jpg
    PXL_20220324_220434755.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom