Chicken feed

I think that a laying hen will eat 5-10% of their body weight per day, so for something like a RIR, that's would be 150-300 grams per day. @ChickenCanoe probably has lots if info on this subject.

-Kathy

My roosters have been with the hens since well before they started laying. I'll know if it affects their laying once I get their pen built. To say that it just doesn't affect the laying is just flat out wrong. maybe for some it doesn't, but for some it does. I understand that stress will affect laying, so if a rooster with 1.5 inch sharp talons rides a dozen or so hens a day and it pretty rough doing it, why would you not think that's stressful? It has to introduce some stress. And if highly stressed birds don't lay, then the commercial ones in a 1 cubic foot cage it's whole life shouldn't be laying? There is clearly variety of factors in play. I have roughly 750 sq ft for 32 them during the week and about 950 to 1000 sq ft on weekends, so 25 to 30 sq ft per bird, is way, way more than plenty.

The biggest problem is that every one has their own opinion. I would imagine it's because everyone's situation is a little different and birds act a little differently and I understand that. But so many people say affirmatively and it seems that they know what they're talking about. saying that 750 (even if they didn't have their weekend retreat) isn't enough room is just flat out wrong. When I joined this, I would see people with 10's of thousands of posts, and it gives the impression that they must really know their stuff, but then I see that many, many of the posts are just 1 to 4 word replies "great post". Maybe some just try to get their numbers up. But I take everyone's input on here, my local feed store, other local people (and people online) I talk to with birds and such and try to come up with the best solution for my birds. This is my first year raising chickens, and I'm learning a lot. I appreciate all of the posts, as they all help complete the big picture.
You also have to factor in the whether or not you are dealing with an immature/young cockerel, or a mature rooster. Two very different animals. And the individual temperaments. Some boys are really rough and overzealous. With them, it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, they will have a negative impact on egg production.

A slightly off base, but hopefully, related question. Ww have 3 Buff Orpingtons, which are 6 mths old. One of the hens is getting bulliied, and not allowed to eat in the coop. I try to ensure she gets feed when they free range. In addition to foraging, how much feed should I ensure she gets on a daily basis?

Sounds like a lot of feed, my 24 chickens (most RIR) eat free choice and do not eat nearly that much. I do however let them free range 3 to 5 times a week. When I noticed that more feed was missing from the feeders than normal, I set up a game camera only to find 5 or 6 squirrels were eating the majority of the feed.....look around you may have some obese squirrels....

Unless you are hatching eggs, quite frankly you don't need a rooster....I have had two RIR roosters over the years and they created nothing but problems. In fact one killed a good laying hen by spurring her side. Infection set in before I knew it she was dead. I now have a small banny rooster, and he is by far the most loved chicken in the pen....23 girls one boy....the hens let him sleep on their backs when they roost. I don't hatch eggs but the hens willfully let him do his business. Best rooster for look out I have had

Last edited:
A slightly off base, but hopefully, related question. Ww have 3 Buff Orpingtons, which are 6 mths old. One of the hens is getting bulliied, and not allowed to eat in the coop. I try to ensure she gets feed when they free range. In addition to foraging, how much feed should I ensure she gets on a daily basis?
Welcome to BYC!

She should probably get 5% of her body weight per day (~1/4 pound per day).

-Kathy

Unless she looks frail or sickly she is probably getting her feed when you are not there or maybe gets enough from insects and the like. The pecking order is for real, and she may be on the bottom end....you can separate her, but when you introduce her back it will start all over again. Chickens can be very vicious to one another at times....it is just part of the journey

Thanks guys. I'll keep feeding the bullied girl. Plus, tomorrow I'll get a dog cage to separate the bullying hen when in the coop.

I have 50 hens & 2 roos (+2 cockerels); mostly free range. However recent fox & coyote problem has me limiting time out of the kennel. To keep them happy & well fed, I also hang cabbages, squash, cantaloupe, etc. They love it & I love watching them. I've gotten end of weekend produce from neighborhood stand, trading with 2 doz eggs. This has helped with $$ (I have wonderfully spoiled chickens, but they give me joy in return). Good luck with getting your feed situation resolved!

Back
Top Bottom