Chicken feed !

These are all great ideas ! I am
Up North and I believe I'm also gonna add corn scratch to the feed to help keep their body temps up for New England winters as well ... I have heard about the oyster shells I will check into that as well

Just throw them some scratch in the evening before they go to roost. Mixing in the feed will make for a high ratio, where if you save it for last thing before they roost they'll overnight with the extra carbs rather than burning them up all day.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein, to my flock of hens, cocks, and youngsters. Oyster shell in a separate feeder at all times. They all do great. Fresh is most important! My local TSC has it within three weeks of manufacture year round. Some other brand will be a better choice depending on what's available fresh where you live. Mary

Ok so I decided to go with Purina after all switching to start and grow non medicated then right to layena plus omega 3 which has its calcium so I don't have to feed oyster shells

I was using Southern States laying crumbles, but recently switched to Nutrena NutraWise. My girls went to town on it like they was starving or something! I didn't want to waste what I had left of the other, but now they wont finish off the stuff from Southern States. Guess they've had a taste of something better and dont want it anymore? I saw the Dumor stuff as well at TSC, but it didn't get as good of reviews as the Nutrena did.

I went with the Purina as it has good reviews and I won't have to supplement calcium which is nice lol the Nutrena is awesome as well too .. I liked the dumor but they never had the grower finisher so I moved on haha

That's what I liked about Nutrena. It can be fed as the sole diet, but I still give oyster shell and grit just to be in the safe side. My flock doesn't seem to like eating it out of the separate eating container, so I just mix it together and toss it around on the ground for them to scratch through. They eat it that way. Always have strong beautiful eggs. Mine are just barely under 6 months, they turn 6 months in a few days, but some have been laying already. 2 dozen eggs so far. Up to 4 eggs a day. The others should fall in soon.

Nice !!! I have started giving them sunflower sprouts and I am going to give them wheat grass sprouts as well I'll probably do grit and also corn scratch at night since we have cold weather here

Sounds like a winner. I do corn scratch as well every other day. Never thought about sunflower sprouts though. Mine like to eat grass, so maybe I'll give that a try.

Yeah it's cool but a pain lol a friend of mine started me with the sunflower sprouts so I gave it a shot lol though cleaning off the seeds from the heads are time consuming haha the wheatgrass is easier but the sunflower seeds are way cheaper lol

Back
Top Bottom