Chicken feed

I feed all my chickens, of all ages an all flock feed. I use Purina Flock Raiser. It's 20% protein, they like it and don't waste it. Every brand has their own version. I put oyster shell on the side, for the layers.
X2.

I do the same.

However, if you do not want to use All Flock...

I would put them on pullet grower, with oyster shell on the side.

I wouldn't switch to layer feed until they start laying regularly AND all of the pullet feed is gone.

Holy musk mellons!!!!!!!!

NINE DOLLARS!?!?! NINE?!?! US DOLLARS?!?!

:eek::th
Oh! You’re Alaskan! My cousin lived in Ketchikan for a long time. I doubt you’ll find these prices up there. I suppose it’s the price you pay for unimaginable beauty and pristine nature. My cousin called it the beauty tax. Here the corn comes cheap at the cost of all of our forests 😢 Flat fields of factory farms as far as the eye can see in some places.
If I had the money - I would be your neighbor in a heartbeat 😊

Last edited:
@LizzzyJo is feeding a layer feed, 15% protein, not an all-flock feed. Her feed has lower protein and higher calcium than an all flock or grower feed, so her birds aren't interested in the oyster shell. Is it a mash, milled at that feed mill? Mash will be cheaper at the mill, where machinery for making pellets and then crumble haven't been purchased. I've been a lot happier feeding a diet higher in nutritional value myself.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom