Chicken feels thin, could it be worms again?

Hopefully this upload works…

Attachments

• 329554AC-35D4-48A4-B9E8-3095442BB52E.jpeg
    329554AC-35D4-48A4-B9E8-3095442BB52E.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 9
  • A26C8D12-5E96-4F10-A8A8-0F7D6905CD7C.jpeg
    A26C8D12-5E96-4F10-A8A8-0F7D6905CD7C.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 0A64AEC6-4835-4810-B139-93137E49DD9F.jpeg
    0A64AEC6-4835-4810-B139-93137E49DD9F.jpeg
    733.9 KB · Views: 9
Okay, sorry missed the 5 consecutive days part. That should be fine for having broken the cycle. And yes, I feel your pain. I lost a lovely Dorking hen under very similar conditions. She had such thick feathering that it completely hid the problem.

Worms do eventually come back, but it should take some time for them to build up to the point its affecting their health again.

What breeds do you keep? Hybrid layers tend to be quite lean at the breast in general.

With the girl you're concerned with, you could try tracking her weight to see if she is actively losing. Weigh-ins are best done at the same time each day, preferably before they've eaten. A kitchen scale is best accuracy-wise. Ideally something with a tare function where you can pop her into a clear bin or other container on it and get the measurement. You can also step onto a body scale with her, but the measurements won't be as accurate as you'd want for weight tracking.
She’s a barred rock. I know she has lost quite a bit of weight just from handling them a month ago when I dewormed them all individually, but I guess I’m not positive she’s still actively losing. I’ll see if I can find a scale.

I planned on starting fenbendazole today, think that’s the right call until I can get the fecal float done?

I would get the fecal float first before you deworm again. See if it's even necessary.

Get a weight on her and track it.

Is she active, eating/drinking, laying eggs, interacting with the flock?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
Any lice/mites?

I understand you're worry, but she's lovely and bright looking in the photo.

I would get the fecal float first before you deworm again. See if it's even necessary.

Get a weight on her and track it.

Is she active, eating/drinking, laying eggs, interacting with the flock?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
Any lice/mites?

I understand you're worry, but she's lovely and bright looking in the photo.
Ok, I’ll wait. I was a little surprised she felt thin because everything else about her is normal. I’ll track her weight and do the fecal float. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom