Chicken feet color

sesa

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Thurmont, Md
I've got 21 cornish x and I noticed this morning that only one of them has yellow feet, the rest are kind of a light brown, is this an issue?

Pretty sure it's not an issue, unless the birds look drastically different otherwise. In other words, just make sure that they are all meat chickens.

My cornish X's from Townline have legs that range from white to yellow. Plus, one of my Buff Orpingtons has yellow legs, and they're supposed to be white!

Anyway, don't worry about their feet. It's very likely just a natural variation.

Want your cornish x's to have yellow feet? Feed them grass clippings or fresh clover. They will become as yellow as the sun, in just a day or 2.

I read in a book about raising chickens that the yellow from the hen's feet and beak go to coloring the yolks. And indeed, my hen's feet are now pale after laying 40+ eggs. Can anyone confirm this?

I have a similar query, on of my young roo’s feet are a pinkish colour and black (his legs are black), almost like a cow appearance. I’ll take a picture tomorrow

It really doesn't matter a bit, they don't pay attention to leg color since they're bred to be butchered.

I read in a book about raising chickens that the yellow from the hen's feet and beak go to coloring the yolks. And indeed, my hen's feet are now pale after laying 40+ eggs. Can anyone confirm this?
Their legs do lose the yellow when they start laying, but I highly doubt it's going to the yolk. It's more likely just hormonal.

This has nothing to do with meat birds but one way to tell that a yellow skinned hen is a good layer is to look at the color of her legs and other yellow areas. It takes some experience but if a hen has yellow skin pigment she uses some to color her yolks. The longer a hen has been laying and the more often she lays the paler her legs, vent, and other areas are. What she eats can influence the color of her yolks too but that's not what I'm talking about.

If you have a flock of yellow-legged hens and at the end of the laying season some have darker yellow legs, those may be the ones you want to eat as they are not laying very many eggs. So if you are using it to select which ones to eat maybe it does belong in a meat bird forum. But only for yellow legged hens.

Back
Top Bottom