Chicken feet how do you cook those exactly? šŸ˜‚

Pics
It took me a little practice, but if you get a good scald on the feet the outer layer comes right off like pulling off a sock -- leaving them perfectly clean.

I then stuck the feet into the crockpot along with the other parts I was using in this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-stock-219819

I have no idea how one cooks them for eating.

The skin should blanch if you dip them in 150F water for about 20-30 seconds then the skin just peels right off. The feet are full of collagen and make the thickest stock you can imagine. I use other parts along with the feet for extra flavor.
This is good info! When I worked at a local Chinese restaurant the owners used feet in the stock for moo goo gai pan as well as for there own food. They had a heaping plate of feet on their table with a bowl of rice. I almost hit the floor when I saw that. I was then 17 and had no clue about eating the feet.

It took me a little practice, but if you get a good scald on the feet the outer layer comes right off like pulling off a sock -- leaving them perfectly clean.

I then stuck the feet into the crockpot along with the other parts I was using in this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-stock-219819

I have no idea how one cooks them for eating.
I canā€™t wait to try this. Our first butcher day will be this Saturday. Thank you!

After blanching the claws and spurs (or spur buds) twist off and you can peel the feet. The trick is how long to blanch them at what temperature. It may take some trial and error for you to find your sweet spot so you need to be consistent and adjust as necessary. If you overheat them the skin rips and tears, doesn't peel, and is a real pain. Overcooking is really common so pay attention so you can adjust as necessary.

I'm not real consistent in which body parts go into each batch of broth. If I butcher five chickens I wind up with four bags of parts for broth. I have noticed that if one bag gets a few extra feet it makes a thicker broth. The feet do make a difference.

I read somewhere chicken feet make good broth and are not to be wasted. But the article was lacking in the how to information. Do you pull the skin off of the feet before you make broth with them? Any tips are appreciated.
Oh man! I love chicken feet both for stock and on their own. The key is to have a "fatty pad."
First and foremost WASH THEM THOROUGHLY! Cannot emphasize that enough.
Then cut off the toe nails!
Now for stock, i blanche mine in a separate pot for about 2-3 min just to make sure ive killed anything still hanging around. Then throw them in a big pot and allow to simmer on low for a couple hours (i do a minimum of 4 feet). Add salt and pepper and other seasonings you prefer. When the meat falls off the bone the stock is ready. The little tid bits can be picked off and thrown in the stock if you prefer along with chopped up liver, hearts, and gizzards.
To eat on their own i use an asian recipe that calls for oyster sauce and is finger licking good. I'll have to find the recipe and post it later.

Back
Top Bottom