Chicken feet how do you cook those exactly? šŸ˜‚

Pics
Thereā€™s a ton of recipes out there, like crock pot or baking or even stove top recipes for various things that call for a bit of broth or liquid component. Of course I canā€™t think of anything specific, but home-canned broth could be used.

If it's not diverting the thread too much I have a really stupid question.

I'm finding the pressure canner stuff very interesting. I've never investigated getting one because I LOATHE canned vegetables so I always freeze veggies and only can pickles, tomatoes, jam, and fruit in syrup.

What do you use all this broth and meat-in-broth for? Even in the winter I don't serve chicken soup more than once a week and maybe not every week because we get sick of eating the same thing over and over. :) Before the low-carb diet chicken-and-rice was another once a week and maybe not every week thing.

I probably sound like an idiot, but having absolutely ZERO experience with any form of canned meat other than tuna I have no idea what, other than soup or chicken-and-rice could be done with it.

Go ahead, laugh at me. :lau
Laughing, you asked for it! I use canned chicken for anything you would use canned tuna for. Chicken salad sandwiches. Low carb version just use lettuce leaves instead of bread. Chicken enchiladas. Chicken tacos. Quesadillas with chicken. Chicken canned in green chili sauce is a great start to a lot of Mexican food. Add some summer squash and tomatoes. Chicken pot pie, YUM! Chicken in mushroom soup sauce over rice or noodles. You can always use a quick dinner from the pantry.

Thereā€™s a ton of recipes out there, like crock pot or baking or even stove top recipes for various things that call for a bit of broth or liquid component. Of course I canā€™t think of anything specific, but home-canned broth could be used.

I use my homemade stock, which I freeze, for that kind of thing -- though I've never been much of a fan of gravies and sauces. I baffled my SIL, who would live on nothing but canned soup if her doctor hadn't told her to limit her salt, when I told her that I have never in my life bought a can of broth except as part of a pre-colonoscopy diet. It's using the meat that eludes me. :)

Laughing, you asked for it! I use canned chicken for anything you would use canned tuna for. Chicken salad sandwiches. Low carb version just use lettuce leaves instead of bread. Chicken enchiladas. Chicken tacos. Quesadillas with chicken. Chicken canned in green chili sauce is a great start to a lot of Mexican food. Add some summer squash and tomatoes. Chicken pot pie, YUM! Chicken in mushroom soup sauce over rice or noodles. You can always use a quick dinner from the pantry.

I make chicken salad and all those Mexican things from chicken picked off roasted chickens or baked chicken parts and have never used canned chicken ever. :) Chicken canned in broth isn't soggy?

That's a serious question. Really. If I sound sarcastic or anything negative like that I don't mean to. I've only ever used the meat picked off what I've made stock from in soup or chicken-and-rice. I've never tried to dry it out and use it for a purpose that I'd have used leftover roast/baked chicken for. Do you squeeze it out like frozen spinach?

You can keep laughing because I have the same problem with ground beef. Even when I wasn't low-carb I could never figure out what to do with it other than burgers, meatloaf, and chili (I use sausage in my spaghetti sauce).

People would tell me "It's so handy to have pre-browned ground beef all ready to use!" and I'd be there wondering what on earth they were using it *for* -- other than eating chili or tacos too many times in the same month. šŸ¤£

My go-to quick meal is pork chops in the skillet with whatever seasoning strikes my fancy and my go-to low-effort meal is chicken pieces likewise seasoned and shoved into the oven to be ignored until time to eat.

I use my homemade stock, which I freeze, for that kind of thing -- though I've never been much of a fan of gravies and sauces. I baffled my SIL, who would live on nothing but canned soup if her doctor hadn't told her to limit her salt, when I told her that I have never in my life bought a can of broth except as part of a pre-colonoscopy diet. It's using the meat that eludes me. :)

I make chicken salad and all those Mexican things from chicken picked off roasted chickens or baked chicken parts and have never used canned chicken ever. :) Chicken canned in broth isn't soggy?

That's a serious question. Really. If I sound sarcastic or anything negative like that I don't mean to. I've only ever used the meat picked off what I've made stock from in soup or chicken-and-rice. I've never tried to dry it out and use it for a purpose that I'd have used leftover roast/baked chicken for. Do you squeeze it out like frozen spinach?

You can keep laughing because I have the same problem with ground beef. Even when I wasn't low-carb I could never figure out what to do with it other than burgers, meatloaf, and chili (I use sausage in my spaghetti sauce).

People would tell me "It's so handy to have pre-browned ground beef all ready to use!" and I'd be there wondering what on earth they were using it *for* -- other than eating chili or tacos too many times in the same month. šŸ¤£

My go-to quick meal is pork chops in the skillet with whatever seasoning strikes my fancy and my go-to low-effort meal is chicken pieces likewise seasoned and shoved into the oven to be ignored until time to eat.
It isn't any soggier than canned tuna. I do not can grocery store chicken, but home grown older chicken that people would call tough is great stuffed in a pint jar raw, cover a little with cool broth and canned in the pressure canner. Starting form cold takes a few minutes longer to get up to pressure but you save time cooking -- just filet out the breast meat, chop it into the size you like for your favorite use & stuff in a jar. I have left the breast whole and rolled it to make it fit so I could shred it when I use it. It is difficult to get all the air bubbles out if you do that. Duck is nice in a jar, but I haven't had enough big drakes to do it yet this go 'round. Some people put in legs bone and all using a quart jar, I do not want to waste space in the jar on bones. A big Pekin drake breast is fantastic in a jar! It is falling apart tender but not soggy. :drool
You can brown the chicken chunks and jar them hot, the flavor of what you cooked them in is intensified by pressure cooking. You have to be careful to follow an approved canning recipe and use a certain kind of corn starch that is approved to can, so I do not use sauce without getting out the book and shopping first. If you would cook it in a crock pot or a casserole, pressure canning is about the same taste. I like it that I do not fill up the freezer with broth and frozen chicken. No freezer burn, either. No electric bill, no worries if the power goes out, we have stuff we like to eat and do not even open the freezer.

I'm definitely a newcomer to using stock, but I think most recipes that call for water you can use stock for more flavor.

What do you use all this broth and meat-in-broth for?
I don't can meat so I'll let others discuss that. I do can broth. Our kids are long gone, there are only two of us. And freezer space gets pretty precious when I'm harvesting fruits, berries, and veggies. One reason I sometimes make broth is to get carcasses out of the freezer so I can store blueberries in there until I can dehydrate them or make jelly.

I can a lot of vegetable soup. I take veggies from the garden and chicken broth and can that soup by the quart. On those nights where you want an easy meal to prepare and not many dishes to wash, cheese, crackers, and that soup (with chicken meat) makes a real quick easy meal. Maybe open a bottle of wine.

When you cook rice, use broth instead of water. Many noodle dishes are even better when cooked in broth. You can use broth in many one dish meals. If it is canned instead of frozen you don't have t thaw it to get a tablespoon or two if that's all the recipe calls for.

I keep a sister-in-law and a good friend supplied with broth. They like me, at least then.

Like everything else, there is a lot of personal preference in this. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

I personally do not use the feet at all because I know where they've been. Same idea with intestines. I dont let the feet go to waste though. A friend of ours does a voodoo theme for halloween and gladly accepts the chicken feet. Ive left the feet out in the yard before for a day and not even a fly or a yellow jacket would touch them. Thats my signal that its not edible

Back
Top Bottom