Chicken feet how do you cook those exactly? šŸ˜‚

It is not difficult. Just follow the steps and times exactly. Get a good book like the Ball book referenced above. I have a very old Presto cooker from the 70's and the parts are still available online. A new one comes with a nice little booklet about that particular model's features and is good to read and follow. There is a good use for your chicken, can the meat and it is very easy to just open a jar of precooked chicken and add it to rice, noodles, whatever you like, dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the rice. You can start chicken from raw, which is the way I like to do it, or cook the chicken and can it in some broth. You will not regret getting a pressure cooker, they are on Amazon for ~$125. A smaller Presto canner, 16 quarts, can also be used as a pressure cooker.
Thank you

So, basically, if I donā€™t overthink then pressure canning really isnā€™t too difficult?
If you can follow instructions pressure canning isn't that difficult. If you cannot follow instructions step-by-step don't try. Like everything else there is a learning curve but that's mostly how to more efficiently do the various steps. For certain things I use a plastic chopstick to release the air bubbles, for other things a plastic knife like you get at a fast food place works better. I think most people forget to release the air bubbles at least once. That's not the end of the world but you get a better product if you release them. For broth you do not need to release the air bubbles. Little things you learn.

There are basic steps you take no matter what you are canning. You heat it up and let it steam for 10 minutes, then you pressure it up. You start the timing when it hits pressure and never let it drop below that pressure until time is up. You let it cool down naturally, you do not release the pressure to hurry it up.

There are two different types of pressure control. One is a rocker that I don't use. I use a gauge which you have to monitor. You don't want the pressure getting too high. Part of that is the quality of the produce, part of it is safety. You are dealing with a pressure container. If the pressure gets too high it could explode and send shrapnel all over the kitchen. That's not going to happen, they have too many safety devices on it. You don't hear about that happening on the news.

Your pressure cooker operates on the same principles. The older ones were less safe than todays models but you are in more danger from a pressure cooker than you are a pressure canner. In a pressure cooker bits of food can possibly block a valve as the food is not contained. That's unlikely to happen if you follow instructions but that's probably where the stories you may her about come from. Pressure cookers, not canners. And those stories are rare.

What is the worse case scenario? Pressure canners come with what we called a pop off valve when I was working around pressure equipment. That is a rubber disc on the canner top that is designed to pop off if the pressure gets too high so it instantly relieves the pressure. That keeps it from exploding and sending shrapnel everywhere. It will scare you silly. It's on top so steam will be released in the kitchen straight up and make a mess. Steam is super hot and can seriously burn you if you get hit, that's why it is on top, so it is not going toward you. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you there is absolutely no risk, but there is risk driving to the grocery store. You have more control over this risk than you do control over other drivers. You get the same risks from pressure cookers like instant pot. How common are those? I've never had a pop off valve pop off.

Just wanted to let you know that I understand that pressure canning can be anxiety inducing! Over-thinking visions of explosions and all ā€¦ But it is do-able. As said, follow instructions. Maybe do you know someone who has done it before? Maybe schedule a ā€œlunch and learnā€ visit or something with that person, even if theyā€™ve only done it a few times themselves. They will have at least heard what a ā€œjiggleā€ is and such. Moral support is extremely helpful šŸ˜

Just wanted to let you know that I understand that pressure canning can be anxiety inducing! Over-thinking visions of explosions and all ā€¦ But it is do-able. As said, follow instructions. Maybe do you know someone who has done it before? Maybe schedule a ā€œlunch and learnā€ visit or something with that person, even if theyā€™ve only done it a few times themselves. They will have at least heard what a ā€œjiggleā€ is and such. Moral support is extremely helpful šŸ˜
It is always nice to be able to get some practice with someone experienced. I like my Presto, it has a dial pressure gauge and a "juggler" weight. When it is jiggling too fast, you know to check it by taking a look at the dial. I have never had it be over the pressure of the weight that jiggles. It lets the pressure off automatically, but you do not want to have it rocking too fast, you might run out of water in the canner. The new electric canners are supposed to be just "set it and forget it", but I watch my oldie!

I am new to pressure canning also. I started last year and feel way more comfortable this year. Like everyone has been saying it really is just following steps that are usually laid out pretty well for you. I hope you decide to give it a try. Walmart sells a Presto canner for under $100 that I picked up. It comes with thee jiggler and not the dial so you don't have to recalibrate it. I tried searching for a while looking for a used one but never found one.

I am new to pressure canning also. I started last year and feel way more comfortable this year. Like everyone has been saying it really is just following steps that are usually laid out pretty well for you. I hope you decide to give it a try. Walmart sells a Presto canner for under $100 that I picked up. It comes with thee jiggler and not the dial so you don't have to recalibrate it. I tried searching for a while looking for a used one but never found one.
I have found them used at estate sales. I got my 16 qt Presto with a dial for $25. at an estate sale, but it was not advertised, you just have to go and see what they are selling. I passed on my smaller one with no dial like you mention free to a member on here since I had not used it since I got the bigger one. Now, I want another bigger one! It holds 7 qts.

Now, I want another bigger one! It holds 7 qts.
Sounds like the one I have, a Presto that holds 7 quarts or 18 pints.

I forgot to mention. If you are in the US your county extension office will often inspect and calibrate your pressure canner for you. They'll check that your gauge is reading right, check your seals, and inspect for damage. For me in Arkansas there was no charge but I had to wait until the right lady was in town. That might help someone be more comfortable if they know an expert has checked out the canner.

Sounds like the one I have, a Presto that holds 7 quarts or 18 pints.

I forgot to mention. If you are in the US your county extension office will often inspect and calibrate your pressure canner for you. They'll check that your gauge is reading right, check your seals, and inspect for damage. For me in Arkansas there was no charge but I had to wait until the right lady was in town. That might help someone be more comfortable if they know an expert has checked out the canner.
I like to use wide mouth pints, those it only holds 8 per layer, but I almost always just can one layer anyway. I would can more quarts with a second canner, This year's garden is really going to town with green beans! I like to can mixed vegetables, carrots and potatoes and some chicken or chuck roast in quarts. I never did that much when I had a smaller cooker.

If it's not diverting the thread too much I have a really stupid question.

I'm finding the pressure canner stuff very interesting. I've never investigated getting one because I LOATHE canned vegetables so I always freeze veggies and only can pickles, tomatoes, jam, and fruit in syrup.

What do you use all this broth and meat-in-broth for? Even in the winter I don't serve chicken soup more than once a week and maybe not every week because we get sick of eating the same thing over and over. :) Before the low-carb diet chicken-and-rice was another once a week and maybe not every week thing.

I probably sound like an idiot, but having absolutely ZERO experience with any form of canned meat other than tuna I have no idea what, other than soup or chicken-and-rice could be done with it.

Go ahead, laugh at me. :lau

Back
Top Bottom