chicken feet

chicken nanny

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
I was wanting to know, how to clean the feet off, to make soup.... Do you just poor boiling water over the them and peel off skin..... Or do you have to let them sit a minute in water.... W ould like to make broth and can it....We do our own Cornishx.... Thanks for all the info Ihave received from this site....You pple are Great....

There's a thin, tough membrane covering the feet, called the cuticle, that's what you peel off. It usually peels off easily after the feet have been dipped and swished in hot water for just a minute. It often starts coming free at the joint where you separate the lower leg from the drumstick, with out any further scalding needed. If it doesn't, then briefly scald, maybe 30 seconds or so, and try again. Once the cuticle is removed, rinse the feet, and check the soles of the feet. If there are any dark or scaly spots, trim those off with a knife, rinse, again, and they're ready to boil up for stock. Frugal posted a great how-to on making stock, with feet, vegetables, etc. Do a BYC search for Frugal's posts, I'm sure you'll find it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Perfect, yes this is the way to do it, you will need a good mess of feet to make a decent stock though.

AL

my dogs snag all my feet up before i even have a chance to THINK about what to do with them
smile.png
happy woofers!

when you guys make stock from the backs and stuff, do you strain off the fat that comes to the top and solidifies after cooling? (i don't but was wondering how others handle a "thick" stock)

Yes I do save most of the fat and it really isn't that much but the flavor it adds is incredible, have you ever wondered why diet food taste like paper, because the flavor of most foods comes from fat, just sayin.

AL

Quote:
Poor, poor diet food
smile.png
I definitely leave the fat on mine as well, I just didn't know if that was the norm, or how others handled it....

Mmmmmmm chicken gravy
droolin.gif

(edited because my brain is still waking up)

Last edited:
Now I do fill a fat seperater with the stock and let it settle and remove the fat, then add the fat back so I get the right amount, too much fat can be ruin a good recipe, so I just play it by ear as to how much I get, because sometimes you can't tell from looking at the stock. But I save all my fat from cooking and use it to mix in my feed for all the different animals on the farm, it really makes them look great and is healthy for them as they process fat differently than us humans.

AL

Back
Top Bottom