Chicken field trip - will they follow me to my garden?

Chad Oftedal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Woodinville, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a pretty substantial garden area that is fenced at about four feet high. The fence wraps around the full perimeter of the garden, and there is an entrance gate to enter the garden that is about 4 feet wide. Right now, there are random weeds, some grass, etc., that has filled in a bit in some areas since last fall. I'll be rototilling it in a couple weeks, pending Washington's Stay-in-Place order. Anyway, the soil is fairly loose, and I'm sure it would be a chicken's paradise to play and scratch for hours - while I supervise and watch for any ariel predators.

I have my eight hens that are normally in their run during the day. This garden space is about 60 yards away, down some steps and then a small sloping hill from their run. What I am trying to figure out is if logistically, I could get them to all follow me for that long of a distance. When I let them free range outside their run and near their coop, I have real good luck getting them to come back in the run by shaking the mealworms container and leading them through the gate. My thought is to do this same trick, but lead them down the steps, and down the hill to the garden. What I'm not sure of is if they'll begin to lose interest after about 20 yards, and then I've got eight birds doing their own thing.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? I know they'd have a great time once they were there. There is over 650 square feet for them to explore and scratch, and they can't hurt anything because nothing has been planted yet.

Thanks for any ideas!

I have a pretty substantial garden area that is fenced at about four feet high. The fence wraps around the full perimeter of the garden, and there is an entrance gate to enter the garden that is about 4 feet wide. Right now, there are random weeds, some grass, etc., that has filled in a bit in some areas since last fall. I'll be rototilling it in a couple weeks, pending Washington's Stay-in-Place order. Anyway, the soil is fairly loose, and I'm sure it would be a chicken's paradise to play and scratch for hours - while I supervise and watch for any ariel predators.

I have my eight hens that are normally in their run during the day. This garden space is about 60 yards away, down some steps and then a small sloping hill from their run. What I am trying to figure out is if logistically, I could get them to all follow me for that long of a distance. When I let them free range outside their run and near their coop, I have real good luck getting them to come back in the run by shaking the mealworms container and leading them through the gate. My thought is to do this same trick, but lead them down the steps, and down the hill to the garden. What I'm not sure of is if they'll begin to lose interest after about 20 yards, and then I've got eight birds doing their own thing.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? I know they'd have a great time once they were there. There is over 650 square feet for them to explore and scratch, and they can't hurt anything because nothing has been planted yet.

Thanks for any ideas!
Sounds like it would be chicken heaven. Could you try it with 2 of the ladies and see how it goes? Remember, you have to lure them BACK as well. If you only tried 2 at least the whole flock would not be running loose and they would want to be with their friends eventually. My whole flock got out of the pasture when I left the gate open but luckily they will stampede for corn. I just put some in a metal can and shook it and they all came back. Good luck!

Rather than getting them to follow you to the garden, you could try herding them instead. Get 2 sticks (something like garden stakes or small wood posts are fine), then let them out of the run, get behind them, and just herd them forward. You'll probably get a few that shoot off to the side (just go back and grab them later) but you should be able to herd some of them along.

Once they get used to it it should get a lot easier and they may not need to be actively herded anymore.

Luring them back shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with @aart. Whatever the difficulties may be of getting them to discover the joys of going into the garden, once they have discovered it ... well, you can't get them to un-learn it. Be careful what you wish for! 🤣

Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have tried treats to lure birds from one coop to another. Some go willingly and some don't and the chase/herding is on. I do have a couple of nets I use if I need to. They usually want to go back to their original coop. Hopefully the treats will work. Please let us know how it works out. Good luck and have fun...

Please have someone take video :D
You might regret letting them in there...
....they will want to go back once you plant your garden.

If they can find the gate to get out of the garden. :gig
I might have to have my wife shoot some video. I feel like I need a flute and march ahead of them.

These are all great ideas, folks! Thanks!

I think I'm going to try the shaking treats to lure them down there. They respond pretty well to that. I hadn't thought about if it will work as well on leading them back. They might be like "ugh...I couldn't eat another worm if I tried" and be content to hang out in the garden. But, I do have hockey sticks, so maybe I could do some herding that way. I don't have a net, but I have two boys, and that might help in the herding option if needed.

I've used treats to lead my flock back into my yard after the occasional 'great escape'. If they start to lose interest and want to roam more, I'll toss down a few meal worms and shake the can to get them following me again :)

Back
Top Bottom