Chicken fix

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by newturkeygirl, Feb 4, 2014.

1. newturkeygirl

newturkeygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    So just want to throw this out there..... I love being able to come in here to this forum and completely nerd out on all things chicken. I cannot do that on my Facebook my friends just wouldn't understand. I am new to having poultry and I love my chicken and everyone else's chicken too apparently haha Anyone else feel the way I do???

2. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Perhaps if they make a cartoon show like the theme in this song it might bee cool to have chickens amung kids and teens alike

3. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas

Haha!! Love it!! I vote yes. I'm still giggling at it.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Yes. I hung out here for years before I could actually get chickens.

5. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Do you have chickens now? How many? What kind? How big is your coop?

6. Stumpy

Apr 15, 2008
    You do realize, don't you, that you could come to regret those questions? [​IMG]

Well, one of the reasons that it took me so long is that I live in the woods. Finally, between this website and my mother's gift subscription of Backyard Poultry, I decided to take the plunge. I bought a used garden cart and started building a coop on it, with some help.

[​IMG]

My plan was to have about three chickens. I decided I might like Australorps, and someone locally sold three chicks to me. Unfortunately, two of them turned out to be roosters. Then a generous BYC member gave me two Easter Egger hens. My run, hooked to the little rolling coop, has turned out to be more of an open-air coop. It's a bit junky-looking and not quite finished in this photo. It is covered in hardware cloth and is about 12 X 8. They free range every day.

[​IMG]

The hens use the rolling coop mainly for laying eggs.

[​IMG]

Several months later, the same BYC member gave/sold (can't remember) a Black Copper Marans hen to me and I bought an Ameracauna hen. I was thrilled to have a dark egg layer. At the same time, one of my EE hens went broody. I put a few eggs under her and got three FBCM's and one Australorp/EE mix. I was thrilled. I now had four FBCMs, three hens and one rooster. Unfortunately, tragedy struck and one of the hens was killed. Also, unfortunately, my husband doesn't want me to have more than I do, which is now ten. [​IMG] And there are so many breeds out there! I'd like some Speckled Sussex, Welsummers, and a few others. My Ameracauna laid about 20 eggs and that was that. No more blue eggs.

I have the two Australorp roosters separated because I can't bring myself to butcher them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas

8. Stumpy

Apr 15, 2008
    Fiona investigating a snake.

[​IMG]
    A young Mr. Wickham:

[​IMG]

Yum!
    [​IMG]

9. Stumpy

Apr 15, 2008
    Newturkeygirl, this is a great site for all sorts of advice, as I am sure you've realized. My Australorp hen, Fiona, gave me my first egg and she'll always be a special hen to me. I think one of the most common mistakes in chicken-keeping is not providing adequate housing in the way of predator protection. Right now I am fortunate that I have a dog whose presence I believe deters coyotes and I have also seen her running and barking at an aerial predator.

10. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    These are great!! Beautiful chickens. Your big man looks like he knows he's the boss. Also, question, how do chickens do with snakes? My coop is not on the ground, but pretty close to it and I'm afraid this summer a snake might try and sneak his way into the coop after an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by