Chicken Fluffed up, Unresponsive, and not Eating or Drinking

MichelleDenise72

Hatching
Nov 19, 2019
It may be too late, as she's worsened, but my 4 year old Black Australorp started fluffing up about a week ago. I've treated her for a vitamin deficiency before, but as the week progressed she started not moving around as much and now she can't stand.
Her poop is normal, her crop feels empty, and she is not egg bound. She has gotten lighter and lost a lot of weight. She was eating and drinking a little until today. No signs of trauma or injury, she is just droopy and unresponsive. The rest of the flock is fine. No mites, scabs, mucus, or respiratory issues either.
She has been sleeping all day and I've only gotten her to eat some bread. Now I'm having to force Nutri-drench water in her, but I fear she won't make it.

Try some Nutri Drench straight, instead of mixing in water, several drops to the beak. Try wetting/moisten some dry cat food for her, scrambled eggs, tuna, tofu or even wet/moist (like mush) feed ... See if you can get her to eat. If anything tube feeding would be the alternative. When was the last time she laid an egg?
:hugs If her crop is not filling, she's lost alot of weight, it doesn't look good :hugs

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she is going downhill fast. I would try to make her comfortable, keep her warm in a quiet place, and offer watery chicken food and scrambled egg up to he beak in a scoop often. Keep her separated, since she may be pecked or sttacked. The NutriDrench is good, 2 ml orally daily. Many hens suffer from reproductive disorders such as cancer, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites. Usually we don’t know what all is happening until they die and we can get a necropsy or do one ourselves. If she appears ro be suffering at any time, I would think about putting her down. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Back
Top Bottom