Chicken Food Tower

Pics
This is definitely an interesting idea!! I am wondering if putting another wire wrap a few inches wider around the main tower would allow the grass and such to get more established and grow a little bigger before the chooks could pick it out? Might that allow the grass to continue living while the birds ‘mow’ it?
Yes it will work, but it will also make the structure a bit more complicated (and also more cost). According to my observation, as they can't scratch like they usually do on the lawn, at this moment the grass or other veggies should have a better chance to grow.

07.20 Update

As I harvested some potatoes planted in a big pot, now I have some used compost that I can add into the food tower.

This time I only sprinkled grass seed on the egde, becose the center part will be difficult for them to access to light for germination.

27470.jpg

Basically I use (A) the mixture of chicken poo, whatever they scractched and left on the ground, vegetable stems that they can't consume for the lower part of the tower, from the middle, i put three different materials, layer by layer

(A) mentioned above
(B) grass clipping or some green material --> to increase the internal moisture
(C) recycled compost+soil after harvest veggies planted in the pots

green material: grass clipping
27471.jpg

green material: potato leaves and stems
27472.jpg

It basically follows the general direction piling materials up for compost, and grass seeds are sprinkled between each layer.
27473.jpg

When some gaps appear (as it's not tightly packed, after sometime it will sink anyway), we can always use the seed bomb (just mix grass seed, soil amd some water) and insert those small balls into the tower.
27475.jpg

For me, the entire idea is based on nothing-to-lose and fun :D

Hay, I always get the green onions and the chives mixed up but one is deadly to chickens. Maybe look it up before planting.

Onions, chives, and garlic are not "deadly" to chickens in small quantities, and most chickens won't eat enough of any of those to hurt themselves. (Of course there will be one chicken in someone's flock that eats enough to cause a problem, but MOST chickens will not.)

Back
Top Bottom