Chicken Food Tower

Pics
Here is says on the chart
Onion, green All parts toxic Sudden death

moo so it is the onion. Good to know. I am always so scared my birds will eat something that I don’t notice and then just die.

moo so it is the onion. Good to know. I am always so scared my birds will eat something that I don’t notice and then just die.
Mmm, I did give them some small amount of onion in winter, mixed with other veggies, including garlics. I don't think it will cause a sudden death. It's also quite common here for people to add a moderate amount.

What I learned is when chicken have too much onion, it might cause anemia, however, when such concern exists, just simply avoid.

I would just avoid feeding onions and other alliums. I know a lot of people are fine with giving scraps or treats with onions etc. to their animals, but I avoid them entirely just to be on the safe side.

In fact I was reading the article about the best treats for chicken, and suddenly an idea came into my mind. I have bought such hardware cloth (not sure if it is called so in English) originally for making a simple support between raised beds for beans and cucumbers. But, anyway it ends up with such a wire compost bin, but quite high, 1.2m.

I cleaned the run and put the mixture of soil, poo, whatever they scratched and left on the ground together, added the grass seeds then piled them up.

View attachment 2752777
View attachment 2752778
mixed grass seeds with whatever they scratched and left before adding them in the compost tower
View attachment 2752779

Then, well, i have really a lot of vegetable seeds, i means, why not push this idea a bit further?
View attachment 2752782

radish, coriander, different kind of brassica family veggies, carrots, herbs...
View attachment 2752785
pea - they should not directly eat raw beans, i know, but the leaves and flowers, tendrils will be nice! (i can accept only pea pods left for us, haha)
View attachment 2752786

Well, can't wait to keep developing this idea forward!
View attachment 2752788
Did anyone try similar ideas? It would be great for hearing your experience. I believe it can provide them both food and fun :D

View attachment 2752792
Could you tell how big are the holes in that hardware cloth?

Back
Top Bottom