Chicken Food Tower

Pics
08.01 Update for the Chicken Food Tower

First for the observation, the lower part of the towers - it's quite obvious hens do check them often :lau and eat the young leaves, but as they can't scratch on the tower like the bare ground, it should be ok. So, they did get some food and fun from the towers.

I am finishing the first 4 towers today, as usual, layer by layer. The soil in the pot usually runs out of nutrients quickly, so I use them here, mixed with compost and chicken manure.

Same way, seeds are only sowed at the outer area.

28831.jpg

Covered with thin layer of compost and chicken manure.
28830.jpg

Tower No.4 is done.
28832.jpg

08.01 Update for the Vertical Planter V1

This is the food tower I removed to vegetable garden and used as the vertical planter. Last night it rains for quite some time, so I decided today to transplant my pea seedlings.

Seedlings and dibber are ready, go!

28823.jpg

Multi-sowing, 2 peas in one cavity, after one week the root ball is good enough to go.
28825.jpg

Used the dibber to open a hole, a bit angle will be nice.
28826.jpg

Inserted the seedling carefully.
28827.jpg

Done, they can grow first, and I will keep filling the upper part next week. Meanwhile, the spinach seedlings need more time to develop the roots, so let's see how peas grow here.
28828.jpg

I saw this on the homepage and it really peaked my interest. I went through every page, and I am impressed with the detail. You know, I’d love to take this and make a duck food tower somehow! This is such a great idea and I appreciate your updates and photos. I hope you come to make those articles and even an instructional video?
That's good you like it and consider to customize for your ducks. I am working on a more complete articles, but so far no plan for an instructional video, it will take too much time :)

That's good you like it and consider to customize for your ducks. I am working on a more complete articles, but so far no plan for an instructional video, it will take too much time :)
Your posts are very clear and self-explanatory. I think stringing them together in an article would be perfect.

Can't wait for the article! Hoping you can cooperate all the many questions, pros and cons that have come up along the way!

I don't think any of them is deadly to chickens, do you have a source for this information? Thanks a lot.
All alliums (onions, chives, garlic, leeks.) are toxic to most everything (including humans) if enough is consumed. The smaller the critter eating it, the less it takes. And it can build up in the system over time.

Back
Top Bottom