Chicken foot bump / growth?

bcjlemaire

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2017
Castle Rock, CO
Hello, one of my hens has this huge growth on the bottom of her left foot, which is causing her to limp pretty badly.
Other than her limping she seems to be doing fine, eating and drinking good.
Is there a medication out there to put on this? What exactly is this? Should we worry about it? Take her to a vet or something?

Thank you
Carol

Attachments

• chicken feet 2.jpg
    chicken feet 2.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Chicken feet issue.jpg
    Chicken feet issue.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 5
What kind of surface is this bird on? Looks like it may be footpad dermatitis, or pododermatitis. I would do epsom salt soaks, clean it up well, get all the dirt off, apply an ointment, like plain neosporin, and wrap the foot to keep it clean and dry. Under that dirt/gunk caked on, make sure there is no bumblefoot lesion. That area is circled in blue below. The other foot has a spot that looks like it may be an issue also, maybe early bumblefoot I've circled it below in red. I would do the same for that foot. Soak it, clean that out well, ointment and wrap. I would do it daily until they start looking better, keep them wrapped til it's healed well. And try to address the issues that are contributing to it. More info on footpad dermatitis:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/what-causes-foot-dermatitis-in-poultry
chicken feet 2inked.jpg

thank you so much for that information!
What kind of surface is this bird on? Looks like it may be footpad dermatitis, or pododermatitis. I would do epsom salt soaks, clean it up well, get all the dirt off, apply an ointment, like plain neosporin, and wrap the foot to keep it clean and dry. Under that dirt/gunk caked on, make sure there is no bumblefoot lesion. That area is circled in blue below. The other foot has a spot that looks like it may be an issue also, maybe early bumblefoot I've circled it below in red. I would do the same for that foot. Soak it, clean that out well, ointment and wrap. I would do it daily until they start looking better, keep them wrapped til it's healed well. And try to address the issues that are contributing to it. More info on footpad dermatitis:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/what-causes-foot-dermatitis-in-poultry
View attachment 2542097
These birds are on mostly dirt, rocks, wood chips.. I will do what you suggested.
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom