Chicken foot soup

1FlewOver

Chirping
Jun 27, 2015
Ft. Worth, Texas
So...I'm starting to get a craving to make some chicken foot soup....

It's kinda my own recipe....but it's loosely based on Southwestern Chicken Tortilla soup:

First of all...you have to source the chicken feet....after that....it's just some work....I usually take a day or two or three to make it.....

First: I take 3 or 4 bell peppers and roast....(might as well say burn) them over a very hot grill until black and blistering all over....I then put them in a brown paper bag and roll it closed and let them sweat a half hour....while thats happening I roast two corn on the cobs in the husk over a medium grill until the husks start to char.....I then skin the peppers under running cold water, seed them, put them in a bowl in layers, each layer salted, sprinkled with lime juice and a drizzle of oil...(corn, canola, or olive) ....they go in the fridge overnight to marinate....I just put the corn in a plastic grocery bag....roll it up and put it in the fridge as well....

The next day... I cut the corn off the cob and cut the peppers in bite sized pieces.....I cut up 2 or 3 onions (coarse chop is fine)....and a couple of tomatoes and saute them in oil in a skillet....I throw them in a crock pot....along with the peppers, corn, and a pound or two of chicken feet...I add a can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth and a tablespoon of chili powder, some garlic powder, a little cumin, salt and pepper....As soon as it gets bubbly....I turn it down from high to as low as it goes.....(make sure there is ample moisture...add water if necessary) and slow cook for 8-12 hours.....

Then....(chef's choice) add 3-4 sliced up corn tortillas or a handful of tortilla chips....cook another 15-20mins . and enjoy!!!!

Don't knock it until you try it....it's delicious...I hurt myself eating it and the whole pot disappears in one or two days....When you find a chicken foot....grab it off the spoon...hold the big end and suck the meat off it....carefully spit out the small bones...and go for another....

Anybody else out there eat chicken feet?

I don't eat them directly, but they are a staple ingredient in my chicken stock. They add a ton of collagen and give the stock a very silky richness. It's the difference between a real stock and chicken-flavored water.

Sourcing chicken feet is easy. Look for a Mexican or Asian market.

Chicken feet contain a lot of gelatin so they're one of the best most easily digestable things you can eat. I haven't tried them yet but am looking forward to it.

ETA: oops I didn't realize this thread was on the older side.

Last edited:
Well it went for a week or so with no responses. On this forum how old is considered too old? I know different forums use different rules.

Back
Top Bottom