Chicken foot stepped on

tiffbrunner

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
My youngest son stepped on one of our girls foot 3.5 weeks ago. We separated her from the rest of the flock in a dog kennel ever since since she could hardly get around. There was no visible break but she couldn’t put any weight on it right away. It seemed more in the joint or foot as opposed for the bone so splinting didn’t seem necessary. I read up on it and it said time will probably heal it and to separate her from the flock. She’s been eating/drinking/laying and seems overall healthy.

I thought it would take a week or two but here we are on 3.5 weeks after the injury. She is making progress it seems; putting a little weight on it and getting around ok. She can’t seem to bend at her wrist to put much weight on her hand yet. I can’t help but wonder if it will get better or not and how long she might take to heal???? Is there anything else I can do and are there any good tips for reintroducing her back to the flock once she’s fully healed? (She was likely the lowest in the pecking order prior to this). We are keeping her in the dog kennel until she’s healed, but try to get her out some so she can peck around in the grass for a bit each day. Thanks for any insight!

Back
Top Bottom