Chicken found alive after 1-2 months of being trapped

Blondie is still here! She's been staying in the bathroom at night and the pen during the day. Honestly, I'm ready for her to move out, lol. She has started to jump out of the bathtub, and I'm tired of cleaning out the bathroom every morning, plus she laid 2 eggs this week!! I take the eggs as a GREAT sign!
So, I started to let her out of the pen this week. Our 3 other hens are free range, and Blondie's pen has been near them in their favorite spots in the yard. I was hoping it would go well because they've been seeing her for the past few weeks. But it hasn't gone well at all 😞
Two of our chickens are totally fine with her, but Widow, who is at the top of the pecking order, seems to now HATE Blondie. She won't stop attacking her until Blondie is driven far away to the side of the yard.
Blondie is so much better, and she's consistently getting stronger, but she's still not 100% like the other chickens. It's like Widow senses that she's weaker and doesn't want her around.
When Blondie is in her pen, she eats grass, but she also sits a lot. When I take her out, she moves around a lot more. So, I want her out of the pen, but being unsupervised has not worked out. Maybe I'm rushing things? I don't know. I don't think I am, but I need help with reintegrating her.
I've been researching online, and my thought is to put Widow in the pen for a week or so. Maybe that would reset their pecking order. What would you do?
You should do something special with her eggs! Like cupcakes or something!

Blondie is still here! She's been staying in the bathroom at night and the pen during the day. Honestly, I'm ready for her to move out, lol. She has started to jump out of the bathtub, and I'm tired of cleaning out the bathroom every morning, plus she laid 2 eggs this week!! I take the eggs as a GREAT sign!
So, I started to let her out of the pen this week. Our 3 other hens are free range, and Blondie's pen has been near them in their favorite spots in the yard. I was hoping it would go well because they've been seeing her for the past few weeks. But it hasn't gone well at all 😞
Two of our chickens are totally fine with her, but Widow, who is at the top of the pecking order, seems to now HATE Blondie. She won't stop attacking her until Blondie is driven far away to the side of the yard.
Blondie is so much better, and she's consistently getting stronger, but she's still not 100% like the other chickens. It's like Widow senses that she's weaker and doesn't want her around.
When Blondie is in her pen, she eats grass, but she also sits a lot. When I take her out, she moves around a lot more. So, I want her out of the pen, but being unsupervised has not worked out. Maybe I'm rushing things? I don't know. I don't think I am, but I need help with reintegrating her.
I've been researching online, and my thought is to put Widow in the pen for a week or so. Maybe that would reset their pecking order. What would you do?
I'm happy to read that the improvement continues. AND getting a couple eggs from her:wee
. I don't have experience with a bully hen but the advise sounds legit. Separate Widow....it's what "I" would try in a similar situation. It sounds like Blondie is really out of the woods and there's probably not much need for more updates, but please do anyway with how reintegration went or any other milestone.

what i do, is i turn my birds upside down if their bad, turn them and flick their beak if their really bad, and if their horrible to one another, they get a bath.
Is this a joke or are you being serious?
This is not funny whatsoever.

what i do, is i turn my birds upside down if their bad, turn them and flick their beak if their really bad, and if their horrible to one another, they get a bath.
Please do not do this OP. Just separate the bully for about a week, let the flock dynamics change. And it should be fine then

Just separate the bully for about a week, let the flock dynamics change. And it should be fine then
If the bully is chasing the weaker hen BECAUSE she is weak, then the problem will probably go away once the hen regains all her strength-- which should happen faster when she is out of the small pen so she exercises more.

I'm not sure if that is considered "flock dynamics" or not, but it's still a good reason to pen up the bully and let the recovering hen be with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom