Chicken Found Dead in Coop

RoxyHen

Hatching
Jun 9, 2017
I found one of my Black Rock hens, Laylee over a year old, dead inside a nesting box in the coop. This is the first hen I've had pass away unexpectedly and I'm suspecting it could of been from being egg bound but I'm not entirely sure. One thing that really stuck out was that her cloaca was covered in yolk but there was no egg and that she had been in a nesting box before dying, she never showed signs of illness and seemed like a healthy hen. My brother told me that he has heard a chicken making a lot of noise over the last few days making me think that she was struggling to lay.

I just really want to know what the cause of death was or confirmation if it was from egg binding as I'm a bit worried for my other hens too.

Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like she was having trouble with her egg laying equipment.

Are you feeding your chickens a complete feed with calcium offered on the side?

Sometimes things like this just happen. I wouldn't worry about the others too much, just keep an eye on them.

Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like she was having trouble with her egg laying equipment.

Are you feeding your chickens a complete feed with calcium offered on the side?

Sometimes things like this just happen. I wouldn't worry about the others too much, just keep an eye on them.
Yea, they have access to complete food and water all the time. I know egg binding can just happen ever since I first got them, it just seems a little weird seeing that she was perfectly fine yesterday and finding her dead in her nest the next day.

Back
Top Bottom