Chicken friends?

CountryPumpkin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
ok so my question is can ducks live in the same coop as my chickens? I have heard that if you put chickens an ducks together the ducks will git mites in their ears and die. Im not sure if that is true or not and Im thinking about getting some ducks. so is this true because I dont want to build a whole new little house for my ducks.

I had asked the same question a while back. I currently have three mallards (10 months old)and 11 Cornish rock chickens (about 8 weeks old) they co exist with me. However the hen is laying and the drakes are protective of their part of the coop. I've also got about 25 hi ks (EE,GLW,Barred rock,Americauna,..etc) going to b introduced to them all within the next few weeks. Hopefully the ducks will smarten up and relax a little. So it works to a degree for me. Only time will tell how well they will do

I keep my 7 mallards in with my 18 chickens. The hens take the roosts above, and the ducks nest under the nesting boxes, away from "bombing range" from the chickens above! They all get along fine. I do keep my pekins in a separate area, as keeping them white would be too difficult with chickens above!

ok so my question is can ducks live in the same coop as my chickens? I have heard that if you put chickens an ducks together the ducks will git mites in their ears and die. Im not sure if that is true or not and Im thinking about getting some ducks. so is this true because I dont want to build a whole new little house for my ducks.

Think I messed up trying 2 reply. Please don't subject yourself. I have suffered such grief. We had 2 ducks that lived with our chickens for 2 years. Daisy died super bowl Sunday and we didn't want jordan to be alone. We got more ducks. They were 6 weeks old when I put them in the coop. Only to have my special baby murdered by the chickens. We immediately rescued the rest of the kids only to have the chickens jump jordan. She is a 20 lb girl. They tried to kill her and pecked her eye out. We interrupted the Attack and saved her life but it kills me that she suffered so. These are pet chickens who get spoiled - come when called and will sit in our lap and eat. They just flipped out. Now we are building a duck habitat.

I don't have ducks but I have been told that the male ducks don't need to be with hens because they will breed the hens eventially causing serious damage. I have also read posts on here about ducks killing chickens. But as I said, I don't have ducks.

Back
Top Bottom