Chicken "Fun Facts" Request

Quote:
It says:
When there is no rooster in a flock of hens one hen will take over the role - as much as possible - and will begin to crow and stop laying eggs.

Is that true?

As far as I know, yes it is true. That's why we spent the $5 on a roo. And he has been a good roo. Not too loud, friendly to a point, and keeps the girls in line. i am not sure about the drowing. I just thought they took ovr the dominant role and stopped laying.

Wow, i had no idea!

Quote:
It says:
When there is no rooster in a flock of hens one hen will take over the role - as much as possible - and will begin to crow and stop laying eggs.

Is that true?

As far as I know, yes it is true. That's why we spent the $5 on a roo. And he has been a good roo. Not too loud, friendly to a point, and keeps the girls in line. i am not sure about the drowing. I just thought they took ovr the dominant role and stopped laying.

One hen will become the alpha hen, or top of the pecking order. But mine did not stop laying or start crowing.

Quote:

One hen will become the alpha hen, or top of the pecking order. But mine did not stop laying or start crowing.

Some will. I had a neighbor who had this happen and have seen posts here on BYChickens about it. If you put a roo back in with them then they go back to being a regular hen.

How bout these:

The greatest recorded number of yolks in one egg was 9.

Chickens give different alarm calls when threatened by different predators.

Eggs contain all the essential protein, minerals and vitamins, except vitamin C. Egg yolks are one of few foods that naturally contain vitamin D.

The egg shell may have as many as 17,000 tiny pores over its surface.

Chickens have more bones in their necks than giraffes.

It takes about 4 1/2 pounds of feed for a chicken to produce a dozen eggs.

(I stole these from the eggcartons.com's catalog)

Ack! I posted to the wrong thread!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That first site had this "fact" in it.

"Chickens and turkeys have crossbred many times. They call these "Turkins".

I wonder ifin thats really true?

Quote:
That first site had this "fact" in it.

"Chickens and turkeys have crossbred many times. They call these "Turkins".

I wonder ifin thats really true?

While there is a breed called the Turken, it's not a cross. It's all chicken.

Back
Top Bottom