Chicken fun?

h2ocutiegirl

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
Pahrump NV
So I was wondering what do you put in your coop or run for your chickens to be entertained? I'm looking for ideas. These are my girls Sugar (white one), Cinnamon (light brown), and Spice (dark brown). As you see they LOVE spending time with me, but when I'm at work, I'm having a problem with a little bullying... I need more entertainment than a mirror and chicken picnic table and roosts. Anyone have any ideas for me?? IMG_20210330_165601998_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I have logs standing up and an old wringer wash stand that they can jump onto to get away from each other. I either purchase or make a scratch block that lasts all winter long. I have also drilled holes in a plastic water bottle and filled it with feed or treats. Cabbage or lettuce on a rope entertains them.

I have logs standing up and an old wringer wash stand that they can jump onto to get away from each other. I either purchase or make a scratch block that lasts all winter long. I have also drilled holes in a plastic water bottle and filled it with feed or treats. Cabbage or lettuce on a rope entertains them.
They have a chicken ball to play with too. They hated the swing and the lettuce on a rope... They are very very picky girls!!! 😂

How big is their run?
They have a huge 10x10 kennel around their chicken coop so they have plenty of room. Also when I am home they get to come out and play and forage while I'm outside with them. We have a lot of coyotes and predators out here so they do not get to free rage like I'd like them to.

Have you considered putting a whole apple, pear or sweet potato in there? Maybe suspend it like the lettuce. One of the only foods my chickens don't want anything to do with is iceberg lettuce. They will tear up a cabbage, though.
I have an old step ladder that mine climb on and cinder blocks arranged different ways. Do you a smaller hiding place or two for the bullied hen(s) to hide in?
When I am done feeding hay to the goats for the year I will usually have a bale or 3 left over and one goes into the run for them to destroy (takes them a while) and it gets used for mulch or compost anyway.

Chicken Daycare, anyone??

Have you considered putting a whole apple, pear or sweet potato in there? Maybe suspend it like the lettuce. One of the only foods my chickens don't want anything to do with is iceberg lettuce. They will tear up a cabbage, though.
I have an old step ladder that mine climb on and cinder blocks arranged different ways. Do you a smaller hiding place or two for the bullied hen(s) to hide in?
When I am done feeding hay to the goats for the year I will usually have a bale or 3 left over and one goes into the run for them to destroy (takes them a while) and it gets used for mulch or compost anyway.

Chicken Daycare, anyone??
That is great a Chicken daycare! Those are some great ideas! Thank you SO MUCH! My girls are simple girls so the ladder and hay may just work for them!!!!! Thank you guys so much for all of the great ideas!

These are great idea. About the mirror…does it make them happy, or mad? Will they see their reflection as a new bird in their space and want to peck it to death or…does it relieve stress and boredo. I don’t have any pecking issues with my 3 lovely girls and don’t want to give them any ideas..so thought I’d check before I put a mirror in there -:)

Back
Top Bottom