Chicken gasping for air video

nopeach

Hatching
Jan 18, 2016
Hi. THe chicken that you can see in this video had this breathing problem for a few days, then she died. Now, about 3 weeks later, a second chick shows the same symptoms. Seperated herself fromthe flock, does not eat, let her wings hang. I had checked for gape worms, but it was negative. Called the vet, asked for ivermectin, but she said since they are laying hens, she would not give it to them, or you can forget about eating their eggs. I feed my chicks organic pellets and they are free range. I tried to treat the chick that had died with all kinds of natural things. Sprayed colloidal silver in her mouth, gave her herbal cough syrup, cooked some oats and added diatomateus earth. Nothing helped. The chicken that is sick now is about 15 weeks old. The chick in the video is the one that died. Thanks.
0.jpg
PS: I had tried to upload into this thread before and did not see my post. Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Hi. THe chicken that you can see in this video had this breathing problem for a few days, then she died. Now, about 3 weeks later, a second chick shows the same symptoms. Seperated herself fromthe flock, does not eat, let her wings hang. I had checked for gape worms, but it was negative. Called the vet, asked for ivermectin, but she said since they are laying hens, she would not give it to them, or you can forget about eating their eggs. I feed my chicks organic pellets and they are free range. I tried to treat the chick that had died with all kinds of natural things. Sprayed colloidal silver in her mouth, gave her herbal cough syrup, cooked some oats and added diatomateus earth. Nothing helped. The chicken that is sick now is about 15 weeks old. The chick in the video is the one that died. Thanks.
0.jpg
PS: I had tried to upload into this thread before and did not see my post. Sorry if this is a duplicate post.
Maybe a resprotary infection, that would explain why it keeps coming back. Here is a link about organicly treating this:

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/04/natural-remedies-for-respiratory-issues.html

I am sorry this happened to you and your birds. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

-G

Try some duramycin 10 or tylan 50, I know its not natural but it may be the only thing that will help.

Yeah, I used duramicin 10, VetRX, and apple cider vinegar diluted in water on a bird close to death and it rebound and is still alive. I trashed eggs for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks then you can eat them again. If you don't want to use the antibiotics then try VetRX and apple cider vinegar. No egg wait on that, but your bird would not be considered "organic". Either way, use a medicine plunder to get your bird to drink it.

I don't know why my last post is in the quote box
hmm.png
. It wasn't like that when I typed it. Sorry.

Thank you so much. I will keep that in mind. Yesterday late afternoon I read about the crop in chickens. So I grabbed her and she had this hard lump where the crop is located. I gently massaged it downward and inward just for a few moments. Then the chick coughed and a small piece of grain flew into the air. She immediately went to the water and started walking the the other two chicks. Later on she got to the food bowl and pecked in there like crazy)).

I think her crop may have just been stopped up. And I could probably have saved Martina. This morning she seemed fine, no gasping. But I will grab her again at lunch when I get home and see if there is still a lump and keep on massaging.

Thank you so much. I will keep that in mind. Yesterday late afternoon I read about the crop in chickens. So I grabbed her and she had this hard lump where the crop is located. I gently massaged it downward and inward just for a few moments. Then the chick coughed and a small piece of grain flew into the air. She immediately went to the water and started walking the the other two chicks. Later on she got to the food bowl and pecked in there like crazy)).

I think her crop may have just been stopped up. And I could probably have saved Martina. This morning she seemed fine, no gasping. But I will grab her again at lunch when I get home and see if there is still a lump and keep on massaging.
Massaging the crop at any time will result in throwing up. Also, the crop would not cause them to gasp. It is firm after eating and is always firm in late afternoon. It should not be firm in the morning, though.

Back
Top Bottom