Chicken Gasping Slowly

m_friday12

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
Type of bird: Barred Plymouth Rock
Behavior: slowly closing her eyes and opening beak, repeatedly. Attempting to cluck/crow; no sound emerges. Very lethargic and lays down when not being held.
The hen has been exhibiting symptoms for less than 24 hours. Our other 2 birds are NOT exhibiting any symptoms.

We don't want her to suffer, but also want to treat her if she is able to recover.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma - NO
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation - NOTHING OUT OF ORDINARY
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all - NO INTEREST IN FOOD/WATER SHOWN
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - NO CHANGE
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - N/A
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - HOME TREATMENT PREFERRED
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - PINE SHAVINGS IN COOP, NATURAL EARTH IN RUN

Where did you get her?

It sounds like a respiratory matter with the gasping, although, if she is sick from anything that is zapping her energy, she could be gasping from that.

My first guess would be 3 common things (since you don't mention a foul smell, discharge, diarrhea:

1. MG (mycoplasma gallesepticum) which is a bacteria passed at hatch to the chick which forever stays in its system lurking. It can rear its head anytime, usually just before point of lay (which is right in there for a Rock), but anytime there is weather change or stress. It will cause essentially chicken asthma/chronic lung disease. It can come on pretty quickly with the main symptom gasping and lethargy. VetRx can help with breathing. If there is secondary bacterial infection from lung fluid, antibiotics will be needed. Using elderberry tincture in the water also helps to clear the lungs.

2. Coccidiosis. Though she isn't showing diarrhea, that isn't always the main symptom. Often listlessness, to the point of gasping from weakness, can be the first symptoms. Treatment is Corid in the water. Whole flock should be treated. Bedding/litter removed and cleaned to remove the oocyts to prevent build up and recurrence. Remove any sloppy/swampy water stations where water has seeped on the ground to make a bog.

3. Infectious Bronchitis (IB) which is a viral disease. It's first show is usually respiratory rales and difficulty breathing. Since it is a virus, antibiotics won't help unless there is a secondary bacterial infection. I brought it in one time with new pullets, which I thought I had isolated well enough, but it travels on the wind. I treated my flock through supportive care with fresh garlic in chicken feed mash and elderberry tincture. Time just has to take its course. If it is especially virulent, it affects the kidneys and you will lose a bird in about 24 hours. It is highly infectious. Chances are your flock is already exposed, but removing the sick bird to absolute isolation, and changing boots/coat between care is essential.

Watch the flock carefully for anyone else developing symptoms or new symptoms (such as foul smell and bubbling in the eyes...which would be a bacterial infection called Coryza, treated by sulfur meds).

Please keep us posted.

My thoughts
Lofmc

Where did you get her?

It sounds like a respiratory matter with the gasping, although, if she is sick from anything that is zapping her energy, she could be gasping from that.

My first guess would be 3 common things (since you don't mention a foul smell, discharge, diarrhea:

1. MG (mycoplasma gallesepticum) which is a bacteria passed at hatch to the chick which forever stays in its system lurking. It can rear its head anytime, usually just before point of lay (which is right in there for a Rock), but anytime there is weather change or stress. It will cause essentially chicken asthma/chronic lung disease. It can come on pretty quickly with the main symptom gasping and lethargy. VetRx can help with breathing. If there is secondary bacterial infection from lung fluid, antibiotics will be needed. Using elderberry tincture in the water also helps to clear the lungs.

2. Coccidiosis. Though she isn't showing diarrhea, that isn't always the main symptom. Often listlessness, to the point of gasping from weakness, can be the first symptoms. Treatment is Corid in the water. Whole flock should be treated. Bedding/litter removed and cleaned to remove the oocyts to prevent build up and recurrence. Remove any sloppy/swampy water stations where water has seeped on the ground to make a bog.

3. Infectious Bronchitis (IB) which is a viral disease. It's first show is usually respiratory rales and difficulty breathing. Since it is a virus, antibiotics won't help unless there is a secondary bacterial infection. I brought it in one time with new pullets, which I thought I had isolated well enough, but it travels on the wind. I treated my flock through supportive care with fresh garlic in chicken feed mash and elderberry tincture. Time just has to take its course. If it is especially virulent, it affects the kidneys and you will lose a bird in about 24 hours. It is highly infectious. Chances are your flock is already exposed, but removing the sick bird to absolute isolation, and changing boots/coat between care is essential.

Watch the flock carefully for anyone else developing symptoms or new symptoms (such as foul smell and bubbling in the eyes...which would be a bacterial infection called Coryza, treated by sulfur meds).

Please keep us posted.

My thoughts
Lofmc

Really appreciate the thoughtful reply Lady of McCamley. Unfortunately, our hen died overnight. We are keeping a close eye on our other two in case it was transmissible

Back
Top Bottom