Chicken gasping while trying to sleep?

I would discontinue the corn and see if it resolves. I've linked to a study that found large corn particles caused increased rectal temperature and increased respiration.
In general, corn should be given only occasionally anyway and small amounts as it's high in carbs and can lead to fat birds, particularly those that are genetically inclined to be fatty.
If not feeding the corn causes it to stop, you have your answer on that.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24696031/
Okay thanks, the corn technically isn’t for them. It’s for deer but they broke into a bag while out free ranging and snuck into the garage

She probably pigged out on the discovered corn and that triggered the issue. I would just make sure she can't get into it again, and watch to see if it happens again, or if she's fine now.

She probably pigged out on the discovered corn and that triggered the issue. I would just make sure she can't get into it again, and watch to see if it happens again, or if she's fine now.
Okay, I’ll hold off on worm treatment. I just went and picked up a metal container for the corn so hopefully that will be a last time thing. They broke into both the bag of corn and the bag of worms.

Hey all! Just wanted to give an update and say she is doing fine tonight. No panting or neck stretching! Thanks for all the responses!

Hey all just wanted to follow up on this post. The behavior continued and after a couple days another chicken began the behavior again only at night. The original chicken to display the behavior also started doing a weird sneeze during the day.

This morning I went out to let them out and saw worms in their poop. I’ll be treating with safeguard and DE for the coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom