Jun 6, 2007
Winston Salem, NC
We have 3 roos
BLRW, Buff Laced Polish, Dark Brahma Bantam
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
We have hens
BLRW, Buff Orp, White Leghorn, Dominique, Partridge Rock, Red Star, EE

I want to add a silkie roo and 2 silkie hens

Would anyone like expound upon the possible dominant features(and sex related colors and physical traits) from these crosses. I realized the Red Stars and EEs are already mongrels but would expect EE pea combs and the fuzzy cheeks to be dominant at least.(these have been demonstraited to us in the past)
I'd be interested particularly in the Polish crest and Brahma/Silkie feathered legs as well as the dominance/ recessive genes of the feathers of these two. I'd also love some color dominance genetic info if that's possible.
I used to have a pal with an incubator but am hoping to have a couple of silkies to fill in for me in the spring. I've always loved my cross bred chickens. They've been pretty fair layers and gorgeous roos. I just haven't noticed much genetic stuff except that the Arucana gene pool produces ee type babies with pea combs and usually green egg layers. Thanks for any help! Lynn

Pea and Rose combs are both usually dominant over straight combs.
Rose comb X Pea Comb (Wyandotte X EE) will make some CUSHION combs (I like cushion combs)

Leg feathering seems to be dominant, in that a fully feathered leg bird bred to a clean legged bird will produce SOME leg feathering in ALL the chicks, with less and less every generation if you breed back to clean legged birds every generation. It may take 3 or 4 generations to get rid of the leg feathering, but you can keep it really easily.

The topknots of the polish seem to be about the same as leg feathering in the way it breeds.

Good lacing is somewhat hard to keep even breeding good laced birds together, so good luck with that.

Silkie feathering is Recessive, so breeding a silkie(HH) to a bird NOT CARRYING silkie (hh) will produce all offspring carrying one copy of silkie(Hh). Those will be normal feathered. When you breed two (Hh) together, you should get about one quarter with silkie feathering.

Fibromelanosis (FM) or black skin and meat, a silkie characteristic is CO-DOMINANT, meaning one copy will show a little, but two copies are required for FULL EXPRESSION.

Good Luck and have fun!

Depends on the silkies and what kind of hypermelanism they have.
Some have Black connective tissues only, skin, tendons, cartilage, etc. This is Fibromelanosis.
Others have everything in black. This is called Leukomelanosis. (black blood)

Back
Top Bottom