Chicken girl is getting quail

FlChickenMama

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
Central FL
Hey everyone,

I will be getting my first bobwhites in just a few days. they will be a week old. I've read through the entire quail section in the learning center and several threads. I know I am probably over thinking everything, but I want to be prepared. So anyway before I rabbit trail I cant seem to find starter in my area over 24% it is game bird crumbles, but I read it needs to be closer to 26-30%.
Where are you getting yours?
Can I use this temporarily until I find a better one?
How long are they on starter?

I will probably have more questions but this is a good start.

With regards to feed, I've learned on here that bobwhites just get fat if you give them as much protein as you would give a coturnix, which is usually 26-30%. I think someone said someting like 20-22-ish% for bobwhites. I don't remember whether this was for grown birds though - chicks might need more. But in any case, my button quail - which also belong to the group people usually suggest to give 25+% protein - are rearing chicks again and again on a 24.4% game bird starter without any issues, so even if the bobwhite chicks need more protein than the numbers I almost remember, I think 24% will be plenty.

Tractor Supply carries 30% Purina gamebird feed. Check with local feed stores and ask if they can order it from one of their existing suppliers to avoid shipping charges.

Tractor Supply carries 30% Purina gamebird feed. Check with local feed stores and ask if they can order it from one of their existing suppliers to avoid shipping charges.

Awesome I have 3 feed stores to choose from so I'm sure one of them will be able to order in something :) Do you know how long to keep them on starter? 16 weeks? I don't want to order 30+lbs if they only need it for a short time.

So I struck out and ended up with 24% protein chick starter. I found some protein powders at the pet store made for birds it is 13.5%. I also wonder if I should be mixing in any type of grit or seeds for them? I like to spoil my animals. Has anyone used those seed blocks for quail?

Lot of questions I know. I am becoming obsessed haha

Oh forgot to add I got some small toys, cuddle bones and millet
clap.gif
I have an infrared bulb on the way from amazon, the cheapest here was $22. A red light will have to do for now.

Back
Top Bottom