1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken goes back to school!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mudsow, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I have a chicken that was hatched in a preschool class. A year later, when the class was once again hatching eggs, I brought Clara back, so the kids could see a BIG chicken and how they search for bugs etc... She really enjoyed all the attention. Even layed her egg there, so the kids could feel how warm it was. It was fun, we may do this again! And the parents were glad to see that the classroom chickens were not automatically going off to slaughter.
    Here's some pics on my website: http://www.mudsow.info/page13.html

Mudsow

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    What a great idea to bring her in a big tub filled with dirt to make her feel more comfortable. I'm sure that was a great experience for the kids. And for her to lay an egg there too. [​IMG]

3. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I bought mealworms and burried them in the peat moss in the bin of dirt so she could dig for them. The kids however chose to feed her bits of bread. [​IMG] The crickets on the other hand... I had to make sure everyone was paying attention. Then BAM dropped the bag-o-crickets and they were all gone in an instant. I think the kids really got a kick out of her.[​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Those are some cute class room pics. She made a great mascot for chickies. [​IMG]

5. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I wish all schools would do that. Mine didn't. I think kids should be aware that what they eat was once a living being. What a cute and personable hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by