1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken goes to Amazing Heights!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by welsummerchicks, Sep 27, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I go in to check on the chickens. Our coop is still not finished so chickens have most of the garage, but stay near their feed and water and treats. They come in at dark and have a snack, and then settle down for the night. There are wire and board roosts for them, and many have started roosting on the top of their cage, which is about three feet tall.

BUT SOME CHICKENS ARE NOT SATISFIED!

I go in to count me chickens, and I am MISSING ONE!

Oh no!

So I look up...and up...and up...and there is the chicken. All by herself, comfortably perched on the track for the overhead garage door, LOL!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

They are amazing animals, aren't they? Clever, always thinking. Of course, it's chicken thoughts, so sometimes the reasoning totally escapes us, but it IS a hoot to watch 'em.

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We have the opposite happening here. Kate, my quite large SLW was always on the coop floor when hubby tucked them in at night. She's his favorite so he started lifting her up to the roost bar. Now, she waits for him every night to put her up there. I know she's capable since she has no real problem getting on the roost in the run. Why should she when she has him wrapped around her little talon.

4. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you could get a video of that chicken flying up there, that would get some serious hits on youtube. I didn't think they could fly that high, especially without a running start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by