Chicken going blind and now can not stand

Chicklalette

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 1, 2009
I noticed my Red Star seems like she cannot see out of one eye. This has been going on and progressing I think for sometime now. There was no difference in her eating and roosting habits. Saturday - I noticed she did not find her way out of the coop. I picked her up - ( which never has happened) and brought her out into the yard to observe her, and deternined she could not see - maybe shadows. She did peck the grass a little bit but seemed "bottom heavy" . Today, Sunday - she cannot stand on her own and definitly can not see. I placed her in a nesting box where she seemed very happy and content. Tonight I offered her some food- oatmeal and scrambled eggs - touched her beak to the food - she ate 2 bites. Offered her drench in water - would not drink. Moved her to the grass, to see if she could stand - she could not, she leans to one side. She seems to be pumping her abdomen to breath - maybe. I have had ascites and ovarian cancer in this breed earlier - can anyone give me some insite? Thank you for your help

i would bring her inside right away to isolate her from other chickens this sounds like marek's so you may want to look into it but this is a recap: your chicken may become as if parilized in her neck or legs she may also have dioreahh. Marek's is apart of the herpes family so its not curable. its rare for chickens to survie it. you can get a vaccination before they get it this is what baby chicks get when they are in factories...... or it could me cocci the symtoms are unable to open eyes &bending their neck backwards. chickens normally get this when they are 4 to 18 weeks old or if they are an older chicken. it is curable you can get medicated feed from ebay or a water mixer from you vet......... or it could just be old age but if i were you i would seperate her from the flock to prevent of spreading. hope shes ok
hugs.gif
good luck!

Amelia is 4 yrs old. Just a few weeks ago - seemed to be "normal". I noticed this behavior just in the past- not able to stand - just in last 2 days. She was vaccinated for merecks and a chick. I have had 2 others lost from acities and ovarian cancer. Just seems weird the blindness thing and suddenly not able to stand. any other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom