Chicken gone lame

I'm sorry she is not improving. Making the decision to put her down, I'm sure is hard, but you are taking her quality of life (and yours) into consideration.

I agree $300 for a necropsy is very expensive and I would not do that either.

If you are having trouble catching the Barred Roo, wait until dark and he is roosting. Should be easy to get him then, cage him until you decide what to do with him. I don't know if you are opposed to it, but he's fairly young and would make a nice meal.

I'm sorry the outcome of this is not positive, but you have done a good job taking care of her and have done all that you can.

I am sure he will make a nice meal. I think I have someone who is going to take him. I will force the Husband to help me cage him up tonight. I almost had him yesterday but had gloves on and my hands were cold and all I got was feathers (which the girls promptly ate).

I do feel I am doing the right thing with the hen, and you all have helped me get to making that decision. Again I say thank you.

Have you called the state vet directly and spoken to a pathologist? I was always under the impression that necropsies in my state were expensive until I finally called and talked to a vet. They make a discount on backyard chickens sometimes, so good to mention. Also in some states, they are so worried about AI (bird flu) or Newcastles, that some will test them for free. Many state labs do send a specimen to another lab for confirmation of Mareks, and there may be an additional cost. Texas A&M used to do them for $30. So, I would make a few calls before you give up on a necropsy. I usually do my own necropsies when I lose a chicken, and sometimes Mareks can have some obvious signs that may be seen. So pictures can help so others can look at them to offer opinions.

I have called Cornell Cooperative Extension 3 or 4 times now and no one has gotten back to me. The local office said their Ag guy retired, and they gave me a number for a different office. I only ever get a voicemail and no one responds to repeated messages.

Maybe I will try to pursue that online. Maybe an email will get an answer.

I am also going to have the vet tech, and possibly the vet take a look at her and see if they can make any sense of her issues. They know me well enough and probably won't charge more than the $20.

Back
Top Bottom