1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken got a snake

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgervais, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    I screamed just cause it was such a strange site. To see my moms Barred Rock running around with about a 12 inch brown snake in its mouth, watching it coil and uncoil as it feared for its life. I was tempted to save the snakes life, but figured mother nature would take her course. Soon enough she ate it like string cheese.... I had NO IDEA a chicken would eat a snake... gross, cool and creepy all at the same time!

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    OMG !!!! Really? Never would have thought that one as well !! I was disgusted at the post of a chicken eating mice, but I think a snake has it beat!!! LOL

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I watched mine woof down a 6 inch garden snake. Quite cool.

4. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    They will eat what ever they can catch, mine haven't gotten a snake yet but I've seen them eat frogs and mice.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They will actually even catch small birds like sparrows if they can and eat them.... Sometimes they are not the cute fluffy ball of feathers many think and are very good at being predators...

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If chickens came twenty feet tall they'd eat YOU.

Mine caught and ate a ten inch snake a couple of weeks ago.

7. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Last Sunday my girls caught a lizard and they chased each other around for a half an hour to get a peck or two at it. There was a little tug o war going on as well.

8. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    That is so awesome! We have snakes here. I wonder if our chickens have ever done that when I wasn't around!

9. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I've been thankful many times that I'm bigger than a chicken- what a terrible last sight seeing that enormous beak-dagger coming your way... and quickly! I saw my chickens eat a snake last summer too and I was so surprised! I'd heard of it but never witnessed it before and I felt bad for the snake, a harmless garden snake. The chicken was THRILLED though and it was funny watching all the others chasing around trying to grab a taste!

10. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    My chickens caught and ate an unwary black bird that was eating their food. All that was left a few hours later was the black birds foot lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by