Chicken grit

akdunn

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
Hi! So my chickens are about 2 1/2 months old right now and they are living in their coop/large run. I have been feeding then chick grit for the past month or so and I recently ran out of it. I was wondering if I should switch over to regular grit because I read somewhere that after 8 weeks they can have regular grit.

Thanks!

I only use regular grit, I didn't know they had chick grit. My chicks don't get special treats until they are out of the brooder so they don't need grit until they start eating treats and other foods.
Ok, thanks! I'll probably just buy regular grit! Thanks for the advice!

So my chickens are about 2 1/2 months old right now and they are living in their coop/large run. I have been feeding then chick grit for the past month or so and I recently ran out of it. I was wondering if I should switch over to regular grit because I read somewhere that after 8 weeks they can have regular grit.
This is how I do it with chicks, pullets.
20200718_080326_resized_1_kindlephoto-3491229.jpg

After 15 weeks I put a separate container of Oyster Shells.
20200827_090053_resized.jpg

You can get Poultry Grit in 5 lbs and 25 lbs bags. They are $5.99 and $8.99 respectively at my local TSC.
20191228_160551_resized.jpg

GC

Very little. I still have chick grit from my previous set of chicks, which I used for this year's chicks, and my current bags of grit are probably 3 years old?
Well, that is what I had thought, so I bought a small bag. I put a decent portion in a dish for them to have available. The next day it was all gone. Long story short, they went thru a 5lb bag in less than 10 days!

Well, that is what I had thought, so I bought a small bag. I put a decent portion in a dish for them to have available. The next day it was all gone. Long story short, they went thru a 5lb bag in less than 10 days!

I assume they had not had it before? Sometimes when something new is made available, something that they need, they'll gorge on it. Or possibly one of them is playing with it and flinging it everywhere?

I'd continue to offer it to them but maybe not all the time, and in smaller amounts, until they learn to not gorge/fling it.

Back
Top Bottom