BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens were locked In yesterday morning. The door didn't open.

The chicken guard gave a warning: Door blocked - Calibrate door. But the sliding door was not blocked.
  1. I replaced the batteries, but thy are not empty. This is not the problem.
  2. The sliding door is fine, the wire is not strangely wrapped. This is not the problem.
  3. I tried to reset by disconnect / taking batteries out en connect again: same warning.
Then I dismantled the thing and took it inside. I thought there might be a problem with moisture because of the storms we had a few days ago. And took it in to let it dry.

I did some research for a solution: Read the manual http://digitalbrochure.cosanostradesign.com/books/rjaf/#p=2 (no clue) and the instruction from @chickenguardusa in
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickenguard-malfunction.1229782
I pushed the button in the middle for 8 seconds. The first attempts it went back to the same error message: Door blocked - Calibrate door.

After a few times, it was clear the motor is not crashed. I got a question once to open the door, I did and it went up. An inches or so. Then it stopped. I get again the same message: Door blocked - Calibrate door.
Tried again. And again.

Finally it seemed to work again. I can calibrate now for the up and the down position. I had good hopes, because the error message is gone now.

But after selecting manual up / down I tried if/how it works. The chicken guard doesn't respond like it should. The motor starts and stops almost immediately. This is not what I calibrated. 😭

Anyone has an idea to help me out? :celebrate
Maybe wait another day to let it dry inside the house? Or should I buy a new one?

I read your post on other thread, and your unit did work for quite a few years. :thumbsup When I was looking for a pop door opener, I passed on the Chicken Guard, but for a specific reason. I live where raccoons are plentiful. Raccoons are also very capable to open gravity held doors. That is why I chose a gear driven model by a different manufacturer. I can disclose it, but don't want to sound like I'm a salesperson for that company. I can post pix of it as well. I'm quite sure they can send to Europe. Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. I'm totally happy/satisfied with it.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

From what it looks like on the UK site, the software has changed if you bought the device before 2017. So the most current suggestions on the site might not be applicable to your unit. I've seen Chicken Guard around at the poultry shows and they are always very friendly and supportive. There is an option to contact them, I think that would be the best route. In any case, this problem you're having sounds pretty unique so if I was Chicken Guard, I'd want to know about it.

Also what's nice is there is a 3 year warranty, so maybe you're within that window.
https://www.chickenguard.com/help-centre/
Good luck!

My chickens were locked In yesterday morning. The door didn't open.

The chicken guard gave a warning: Door blocked - Calibrate door. But the sliding door was not blocked.
  1. I replaced the batteries, but thy are not empty. This is not the problem.
  2. The sliding door is fine, the wire is not strangely wrapped. This is not the problem.
  3. I tried to reset by disconnect / taking batteries out en connect again: same warning.
Then I dismantled the thing and took it inside. I thought there might be a problem with moisture because of the storms we had a few days ago. And took it in to let it dry.

I did some research for a solution: Read the manual http://digitalbrochure.cosanostradesign.com/books/rjaf/#p=2 (no clue) and the instruction from @chickenguardusa in
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickenguard-malfunction.1229782
I pushed the button in the middle for 8 seconds. The first attempts it went back to the same error message: Door blocked - Calibrate door.

After a few times, it was clear the motor is not crashed. I got a question once to open the door, I did and it went up. An inches or so. Then it stopped. I get again the same message: Door blocked - Calibrate door.
Tried again. And again.

Finally it seemed to work again. I can calibrate now for the up and the down position. I had good hopes, because the error message is gone now.

But after selecting manual up / down I tried if/how it works. The chicken guard doesn't respond like it should. The motor starts and stops almost immediately. This is not what I calibrated. 😭

Anyone has an idea to help me out? :celebrate
Maybe wait another day to let it dry inside the house? Or should I buy a new one?

I read your post on other thread, and your unit did work for quite a few years. :thumbsup When I was looking for a pop door opener, I passed on the Chicken Guard, but for a specific reason. I live where raccoons are plentiful. Raccoons are also very capable to open gravity held doors. That is why I chose a gear driven model by a different manufacturer. I can disclose it, but don't want to sound like I'm a salesperson for that company. I can post pix of it as well. I'm quite sure they can send to Europe. Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. I'm totally happy/satisfied with it.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks for the reply. I made a new thread because nobody replied to the other post.

We don’t have racoons around here (yet). So a gravity pop door will be okay.

From what it looks like on the UK site, the software has changed if you bought the device before 2017. So the most current suggestions on the site might not be applicable to your unit. I've seen Chicken Guard around at the poultry shows and they are always very friendly and supportive. There is an option to contact them, I think that would be the best route. In any case, this problem you're having sounds pretty unique so if I was Chicken Guard, I'd want to know about it.

Also what's nice is there is a 3 year warranty, so maybe you're within that window.
https://www.chickenguard.com/help-centre/
Good luck!
I have my Chicken guard 4.5 years now. So there’s no warranty anymore.

The looks changed. But the new Chicken guard is not very different in the way it is set.

Btw I never go to poultry shows. I don't like the idea of seeing many showbirds in little cages.

Last edited:
I have my Chicken guard 4.5 years now. So there’s no warranty anymore.
Just because it's not under warranty, doesn't mean they will not help you solve the problem, give them a call.

Showing where and how you have it installed might help others here with problem solving.

Thanks Aart, you where right. I contacted the supplier in Belgium where I bought my chicken guard. They asked what was wrong and asked for pictures.

And promised I could get a discount of 25% if it was really broken.

After sending a picture of the dismantled chicken guard (Cg) they asked me to reinstall it again in the ‘holder’. Because it can not work without replacing it (has to do with magnetic field).

But now my chickens are asleep and I have to disturb them seriously to reinstall the Cg. Its dark here now.

Tomorrow I will post again,

For people in Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands; They have a great service at kippendeurtjes.be 👍

Today I reinstalled the chicken guard. After calibrating it closes and opens again manually.
The light sensor gives numbers different from the factory setting. This is good because the CG is inside the coop it must open and close at a low lumen value,

But it doesn't close at sunset. Maybe the closing is still on manual? I sure hope I forgot to adjust that.

Thanks Aart, you where right. I contacted the supplier in Belgium where I bought my chicken guard. They asked what was wrong and asked for pictures.

And promised I could get a discount of 25% if it was really broken.

After sending a picture of the dismantled chicken guard (Cg) they asked me to reinstall it again in the ‘holder’. Because it can not work without replacing it (has to do with magnetic field).

But now my chickens are asleep and I have to disturb them seriously to reinstall the Cg. Its dark here now.

Tomorrow I will post again,

For people in Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands; They have a great service at kippendeurtjes.be 👍
This site in Ireland sells it cheaper

https://www.maceoinltd.com/poultry-equipment/

Back
Top Bottom