Chicken Guardian at Work

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mountain Man Jim, May 21, 2008.

1. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

The following are some pictures of our Chicken Guardian, Fluffy. It appears that Fluffy was concerned that our youngest dog, Molly, was a little too interested in the new chicks and ducklings. Fluffy is a Great Pyrenees and they are known to protect by simply placing themselves between their charge and the danger. In the second photo you can see that Fluffy is keeping an eye on Molly. The new chicks and ducklings are in the chicken tractor behind Fluffy. This is first time we have seen Fluffy behave like this and this is the third day the babies were housed outside for the day.

Molly is a little too interested in the babies. Its her first time with chicks and ducklings, so we are keeping an eye on her, including Fluffy. Molly has been great with the adult birds.

All I can say is good doggy!!

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Good doggie is right! [​IMG] Fluffy looks like a centurian, guarding her charges.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Now that is just too adorable! [​IMG]
    You should send those pictures to the Great Pyrenes Club - what a fabulous example of a dog doing her job! She should be in a calendar!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That's awesome! I hope we find a good guardian for our birds, I think Zo might try and eat them before she'd protect them :|

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    That is great my JD was the same way the the chickens and the kids whenever either of them moved he would follow and watch.

That is wonderful that you have Fluffy

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Fluffy is adorable! What a GOOD dog! I love my Anatolian cross...I wanted a pyr but ended up with a 1/2 Anatolian instead...I think our next LGD will be a Pyr or an Akbash....too cute!

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    looks like she is going to bond with the chickens real good.

8. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    So sweet!!![​IMG]

9. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Molly looks like a border collie mix.. She just wants to herd them.. [​IMG]

10. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, you're right. Molly is a border collie/Brittany mix. Herding would be fine, but we could do without the bird-dog aspect of her personality [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by