Chicken gurgling?

Chickedychick98

Chirping
Sep 20, 2019
Hi everyone,
One of my hens has been making odd rasping sounds when breathing for about two weeks. Today I’ve noticed she has become worse, she is gurgling and it sounds like fluid bubbling when breathing. She still has all the energy in the world and spends her days foraging/eating/drinking and she has not changed her behaviour at all. Does anybody have any idea what the issue could be? Her eyelids appear to be swollen but she has no other symptoms.

Can you post pictures of her? Gurgling respirations can sometimes be a result of a respiratory disease, crop contents coming back up into the throat, or ascites. The swollen eyelids also could be a respiratory disease symptom. Do you see any bubbles or drainage in the eyes? Does she have a bad odor from her face?

Thank you for your response:). I have attached a photo, she is a pekin bantam. She has no bubbles or drainage from her eyes that I can see, however she does sneeze on occasion but I cannot see any fluid from her nose either.
FCA67AD7-90D2-49C5-B367-249144E10351.jpeg

Ok the sneezing is likely normal then phew. My main concern is the fluid/gurgling noise. It’s very loud and apparent, especially on a hot day, as she opens her mouth and breathes loud gurgling is all I can hear.

Check her crop early in the morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight. If it is full and hard or puffy, then there may be a crop problem.
I will do and will update you thank you. My original thought was impacted crop but I wasn’t sure at all.

I have checked her crop this morning and it is empty so has emptied over night. But she does seem to gurgle more when her crop is full.

hi i had this happening so today i went to buy LA-200 i filled the syringe i went to pick her up to bring her to give her meds. she was foaming or had bubbles coming from her mouth and was swinging her head side to side getting it all over e. i put her on the table and she straight up just passed out. and now she passed away. im so sad because she was eating and everything but i don't know why she just died any one have a clue what happened i felt her crop it was clear she was only 7 months old??

Back
Top Bottom