Chicken hardly eating but not losing weight

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I have a hen I took to the doctor and he said it was concerning but her physically evaluation seemed phenomenal. I haven't really forced her to eat because she hasn't really lost any weight. I've been monitoring. Should I be forcing her? She just fights me so much if I try. I know her not eating much is a general statement but what would you guys do?

You would know if her crop was impacted. It would be solid as a rock and the size of a golf ball or larger. I recently had two birds that had impacted crop and their crop was the size of a baseball on one, and softball on the other, both solid.

Since her crop is empty, have you noticed her pecking at food and dropping it, as if she wants to eat but doesnt? If so, it's a sign of coccidiosis and will need Corid to treat her.

Otherwise try adding water to her feed in a bowl, mix it well, and give it to her to eat. Hopefully she'll scoff it up.

Also, has she been pooping normally, if so, what did her poop look like?

You would know if her crop was impacted. It would be solid as a rock and the size of a golf ball or larger. I recently had two birds that had impacted crop and their crop was the size of a baseball on one, and softball on the other, both solid.

Since her crop is empty, have you noticed her pecking at food and dropping it, as if she wants to eat but doesnt? If so, it's a sign of coccidiosis and will need Corid to treat her.

Otherwise try adding water to her feed in a bowl, mix it well, and give it to her to eat. Hopefully she'll scoff it up.

It has been fairly normal droppings. She is on corid. A couple times 1.5tsp per gallon. I think Wednesday makes 1 week. No changes really. I've put the corid water in water and feed. Doctor is doing a fecal test to look for coccidia also gave antibiotics to start off just in case she is fighting any infections

I have been making corid water only water I give them but it floods here and I can't control it even if I caved them up because it floods there too.. I haven't seen much different with corid so far

I have been making corid water only water I give them but it floods here and I can't control it even if I caved them up because it floods there too.. I haven't seen much different with corid so far
You've got caves in Orlando? Oh yeah, I forgot about Disney World...oops. LOL.
I can relate to the flooding. I have sand in all my pens and had one pen partially flood. The sand sucked up the water and dried in a couple of days. I added tarps onto the sides of the pens to deter sideways rains, they work well.

How long have you been giving your birds the Corid?

You've got caves in Orlando? Oh yeah, I forgot about Disney World...oops. LOL.
I can relate to the flooding. I have sand in all my pens and had one pen partially flood. The sand sucked up the water and dried in a couple of days. I added tarps onto the sides of the pens to deter sideways rains, they work well.

How long have you been giving your birds the Corid?
I think it's been 5 days now. You were on another of my posts about one of my other chickens who was hospitalized and had the coccidiosis. None of my other chickens seem sick now but I'm seeing the warning signs so it doesn't get as serious as Carnelian was. I'm almost certain it is the coccidiosis...

Back
Top Bottom