Chicken Harness = Unhappy Chickens

Ok, here she is. One really ticked off chicken:

harness.jpg

I gave her some egg and she forgave me.

The harness I have has a bar, front to back, on top as well as underneath. The underneath bar does not do well with chicken anatomy, so I am going to try the cat one mentioned earlier in this thread. That one does not seem to have the bottom bar. I'm hoping it will be small enough for a 4 week old chick?

We used to use those cheap dog leashes they have at the vet. -The ones with the metal circle at one end and the leash loop at the other.

put the loop through the circle just like you would for a dog and put it over the chickens neck -don't stop there!!

slide it down over the breast and bring the wings through. The circle should rest on the back in between the wings and the loop fits over your hand for some control.

This was pretty easy on a very tame roo but I dunno about fiesty chicks. Good Luck

Would the aviary harnesses work for large birds like JGs and Cornish Xs? I would think they'd be way to small for such big chickies.

Quote:
Oh man, I almost bought one of those at the pet store today. But to fit a 4 week old, I would have had to get the medium and they would have outgrown it so quick AND it was over $20!

I have an appt at the vet for my cat in the morning and I'm going to see if they have a cat harness like I see Slifer in. Hopefully cheaper and maybe adjustable enough to fit them now and later?

Oh Lord in Heaven . This country girl has seen it all now!!!
I would love to see the look on my neighbors faces if they saw me out flying a kite with the chickens.
Very cool.

Gonna have to try Petco tomorrow.

I used the leash like msbear suggested (used the handle as if it was the metal ring). That worked as long as my kids were continuously stuffing their beaks with egg. Sort of. If they didn't freak out and boing out of the loop while I was carefully trying to work their wings through.

A couple sat for it as long as we were making with the egg. But unless I tightened it more than I was comfortable doing, their skinny little butts would just pop out of it! I think they need to be a little rounder for that one to work.

Take 3 will be the cat harness. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom